Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't access Internet Options in IE7

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 slycer

slycer

• Members
  • 112 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:28 PM

Posted 21 September 2010 - 12:33 PM

I apologize if this has been covered already. I'm working on a computer with WinXP Pro SP3 that cannot access "Internet Options" in IE7. It gives a message that the "operation has been cancelled due to restrictions in place" or something to that effect. Also, I can click on links on web pages, but I cannot type anything into a web page and then hit enter and have it do what it is supposed to do. For example, I can type a search string into Google and click 'Search' or just hit enter, and the computer just sits there and does nothing, but if I click on the Images or Maps link it will take me there. I just can't type anything into a form or a search box. I have been through the registry and cannot find anything that would cause this. There are no Group Policy settings in effect on this computer. There are no "NoBrowserOption" registry keys. I even imported a fresh, default copy of the Group Policies from another computer with a fresh install of XP Pro SP3, but nothing worked. I decided to uninstall IE7 and go back to IE6. When I did that I could access Internet Options but IE6 would not connect to the internet. Firefox, however, has no issues. I ran sfc /scannow but this did not fix anything. I'm wondering if I should just delete all the Service Packs and updates and reinstall them or if I should do a repair installation. Any thoughts would be most appreciated. Thanks in advance.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that I have run Malwarebytes and Combofix and neither one of these found anything. Spybot is not installed on this computer, nor is there any other program that could "lock" certain parts of IE down. Lastly, this still happens even with the firewall shut off. Hope this helps.

Edited by slycer, 21 September 2010 - 12:37 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 slycer

slycer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 112 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:28 PM

Posted 22 September 2010 - 09:07 AM

Bump. Anybody???

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users