Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Explorer Fatal Error

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 zeoxyman

zeoxyman

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:07 AM

Posted 21 September 2010 - 08:40 AM

EDIT: Moveds to Vista from AII~~boopmeHey all,

so yesterday the Windows Explorer on my Vista started acting up. Every time I right-click an icon on my desktop or in one of my folders it gives me a fatal error and restarts. I've had this computer for two years now and have never encountered this error before.

Specific Error Text: Fatal Error Windows Explorer cannot open this program because the "Resources" directory or one of its sub-directories is missing. Please try re-installing the software.

My computer Specs:

Processor: 2.25 GHz quad-core (AMD I believe)
Hard Drives: 2 drives, 144 GB each (one is about half full)
RAM: 3 GB
Video Card: ATI X1250
Programs Normally On: Glary Utilities, Norton Internet Security 2011 (free trial), Hamachi, Windows Live Messenger, and usually Firefox.

What I've tried:
-ShellExView (I disabled all non-microsoft content; did not help)
-Restarting the computer and switching users (had no effect)
-Changing Windows Aero settings (dunno why I tried this, but it didn't work in any case)
-Looking this up online (found almost no information and every instance I found had to do with malware)
-Antivirus scan (has found nothing as of yet, though I will be trying a more detailed scan tonight)

EDIT: Have also tried:
-Safe mode (still the same, so that confirms the theory that it's not a bad driver or something like that)
-Full system AV scan (still nothing apparently, though I have a report saved up if anyone wants to see it)
-System restore (to three days ago, which was before the last update I received, and did not fix things)

By the looks of it, I'll have to somehow re-install Windows Explorer...is that even possible?

Any help will be appreciated!

Edited by boopme, 22 September 2010 - 11:02 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 zeoxyman

zeoxyman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2010 - 08:22 PM

Actually, the problem just fixed itself, so sorry for wasting people's time if I did. But it might come back any time, and I'm still mystified as to what caused in the first place, so if you know, please tell me!

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,247 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:07 AM

Posted 23 September 2010 - 08:12 AM

I'd be inclined to worry about the partition or hard drive as being responsible.

I would run the chkdsk /r command, at a minimum...and possibly follow that with the appropriate hard drive diagnostic.

Overheating could also be responsible for such behavior, IMO.

Louis

Edited by boopme, 23 September 2010 - 11:57 AM.

#4 zeoxyman

zeoxyman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2010 - 05:39 PM

I don't think it's overheating, it's done that before but usually the system just disconnects from the input/output devices (ie.mouse, keyboard, and monitor don't work).

In the last while, the CPU meter has never been above 80% for more than a few milliseconds, and the RAM has stayed at less than half of that, so I think it's a hard drive problem.

Sorry to sound like a newbie, but I tried running chkdsk/r on my account (which has administrative privileges), and the computer said I need to run in "elevated mode". What exactly is that, and how do I activate it? The problem is back from the dead today, so I definitely want to solve it soon!

Thanks for responding!

#5 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:07 AM

Posted 24 September 2010 - 05:25 AM

I would see if there is any dust build up on the inside of the case. Your issues do sound like over heating. What applications is giving you the error you mentioned?

#6 zeoxyman

zeoxyman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2010 - 07:22 AM

It's just any icon I right click on the desktop or in a folder, and since it restarts after the error message Windows Explorer must be the culprit. I will check for dust today or tomorrow, thanks for the tip.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users