Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Converting internal hard drive to ESATA

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 qtechie

qtechie

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:55 PM

Posted 21 September 2010 - 07:54 AM

hello,

My computer has been having problems lately with random hanging/freezing and I believe the problem lies with faulty Sata connectors on the motherboard, as sometimes the computer detects the hard drive, other times it doesn't. Or sometimes the hard drive slows to a crawl, for example I am copying over a 50mb files to another folder and it takes 10 minutes to complete or some crazy amount of time. I have tried to change the Sata connector but all the ones on the motherboard seem to be faulty.

So instead of replacing the motherboard I was looking to convert my internal hard drive(that has the operating system on it) to plug it into my ESATA port on the back panel.

Do I need to buy a ESATA hard drive enclosure? Can it run my operating system on it? Will it be the same speed or lose some speed?

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 s1lents0ul

s1lents0ul

• Members
  • 544 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:55 PM

Posted 21 September 2010 - 08:28 AM

Are you sure its not the hard drive that is faulty? Have you run the Hard drive diagnostics from the manufactuers website?

its like a joke i once heard "everywhere i touch, it hurts, i must be bruised everywhere" --doctor replies..you have a broken finger

lol perhaps the hard drive is the finger in this case

Edited by s1lents0ul, 21 September 2010 - 08:30 AM.

==]--s1lents0ul-->

#3 DickNervous

DickNervous

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2010 - 09:08 AM

Yes, you would have to purchase an eSATA enclosure or adapter at least. And you mush have an eSATA port on your motherboard.

But before you do that please try the following:

- make sure all cables are connected good.
- replace the SATA cable
- Plug drive into a different SATA port
- try the drive in another machine

Once you have tried all that you can determine what your nest step should e.

#4 qtechie

qtechie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:55 PM

Posted 21 September 2010 - 09:44 AM

Are you sure its not the hard drive that is faulty? Have you run the Hard drive diagnostics from the manufactuers website?

its like a joke i once heard "everywhere i touch, it hurts, i must be bruised everywhere" --doctor replies..you have a broken finger

lol perhaps the hard drive is the finger in this case

Hey thanks I forgot about the hard drive diagnostics.

I just ran the diagnostics and turns out it failed some key tests, time to replace my hard drive.

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,265 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:55 PM

Posted 21 September 2010 - 11:18 AM

Glad to hear that you have figured out what was causing your problem.

Just for the record, using the ESATA connection on the rear of your computer wouldn't have worked if you were having problems with the SATA headers on the motherboard. The ESATA connects to the same headers.

So instead of replacing the motherboard I was looking to convert my internal hard drive(that has the operating system on it) to plug it into my ESATA port on the back panel.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 s1lents0ul

s1lents0ul

• Members
  • 544 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2010 - 01:06 PM

Your Welcome, qtechie.
==]--s1lents0ul-->

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users