Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Screensaver stopped working

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 starnz

starnz

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:48 PM

Posted 21 September 2010 - 07:43 AM

Hello,

I have a problem that I have been having for a couple days now. For some reason, my screensaver has just stopped working. I have had my computer(Dell Vostro, Vista Premium) for about 3 years and have never had a problem with it until now. Now, no matter what time I set the screensaver to come on it doesn't work. No mater what screensaver I chose to come on, it doesn't work.

Also, none of the power management tools work either. No matter what the settings are, my display never turns off nor does the computer go into sleep mode.

In addition to the screensaver not working at the set time, I can't even get the screensaver preview to work. If I try to preview, it works for a split second then shuts off almost instantly. If something is wrong with the touchpad, it doesn't impact the operation as my cursor doesn't wander.

I have recently updated my java and installed mbam but those don't seem to be the problem as uninstalling them doesn't fix the problem.

I've looked this up online and it seems like a wireless mouse and/or keyboard is the problem in many cases. I do not have either of these.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Edited by starnz, 21 September 2010 - 07:44 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:48 PM

Posted 21 September 2010 - 03:56 PM

You can try sfc /scannow which will replace bad or corrupted files. You maybe prompted for your Windows Vista installation CD.

#3 starnz

starnz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:48 PM

Posted 22 September 2010 - 10:01 AM

I've never used sfc /scannow before nor am I familiar with it. What happens if I run it but don't have the Vista disk?

Edited by starnz, 22 September 2010 - 10:02 AM.

#4 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:48 PM

Posted 22 September 2010 - 10:02 AM

It wont repair/replace the possibly corrupted files.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users