Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

virus being shared over wireless internet connection?

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 bambi vision

bambi vision

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:48 PM

Posted 21 September 2010 - 06:06 AM

Hi, apologies in advance: I'm not very computer literate!

Around a week ago my mutti noticed that whenever she searched via Google, any link that she clicked on thereafter would be redirected to an advert, a site she didn't want, or general spam. Typically she'd find that a new window popped up or that if she hovered over an URL, it looked discreditable, e.g. google45.www.sdhshee.com ... I'm sure you get the idea.
It's an old computer running Windows XP, protected by avast! anti-virus and Ad-Aware. It is the computer attached to the router providing the other 2 PCs in the household with a wireless internet connection.
I ran both, and avast! found numerous viruses. Some of which avast! classified as trojans. Unfortunately I can't relay any names or logs. As far as I know they were all quarantined and then removed without issue. However, the problem persisted. I then downloaded and used Hitman Pro 3.5, which found Aruleon and something else. (So sorry I can't be more specific.) Again, Hitman Pro 3.5 seemed to remove it without issue.

Whilst her computer was scanning, she used mine. She found that my computer was having the same problem, although I'd never encountered the problem. Originally I assumed that she must've picked the problem up from one of the websites she regularly visits, but they're just on-line retail sites, e.g. eBay, Oasis, Marks & Spencer ... nothing I'd consider dangerous. (But then I know very, very little about computers. Excuse my ignorance!)
I'm using Vista, and am actively protected by avast! and Ad-Aware, although I also Spybot - Search & Destroy, SUPERAntiSpyware Professional, and Trojan Remover if I'm worried there's a problem.
I also ran Hitman Pro 3.5, but it didn't find anything on my computer.
Google is no longer having the weird redirecting issue, however I have had pop-ups which I'm ordinarily completely free of. There's also a new IE shortcut on the desktop which I haven't used.
I'm worried there might still be a problem but none of my anti-virus software is picking it up. Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware isn't finding anything, either, but I am unable to update it.

I use IE.

Is there a way to check that I'm free of the virus, and is it possible that it's being 'transmitted' via our household's wireless connection?

Update: Ad-Aware is no longer working. Whenever I start up my PC, the update manager loads but nothing happens. I can't open the anti-virus itself either, it just freezes on the loading screen before it's even launched as a window.

Edited by bambi vision, 21 September 2010 - 07:54 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users