Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Monitor Not Displaying Anything

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 VRViperII

VRViperII

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:26 AM

Posted 11 November 2005 - 10:22 PM

Ok I have a computer where when I turn it on along with the monitor, the monitor says:

"The monitor is working fine, please check your video and cables" or something like that, with a red rectangle, a green rectangle and a blue rectangle moving up and down.

I've checked all the cables, they're all secure.

I've done this process many times so I'm sure I didn't plug things in wrong or anything.

I've tried using another computer and connecting the monitor to it, and it works fine.

So the problem seems to be the computer, which isn't sending the signal to the monitor or something? A friend of mine said the video card of the computer may have burned out. But I connected everything and it worked fine. After I switched it in like 5 minutes, I couldn't get it working anymore. Any suggestions?

Thanks

EDIT: OS is Windows 98 btw if it matters.

Edited by VRViperII, 11 November 2005 - 10:23 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:26 AM

Posted 11 November 2005 - 10:48 PM

Start with your power supply. May sure the power cord is not loose. It sounds silly but the simplest things are often the cause. See if the fan is coming on inside the power supply. If this appears OK the next thing will be the video card.
I assume the drive (hard drive, cdrom, floppy) lights are coming on. Try removing and re-inserting the video card. If this makes no differences try the memory.
If the rest of the computer is not coming on check the ram. If you have two or more sticks remove all the ram. Insert 1 stick at a time in the first slot and try starting you computer. Slot 1 should be marked "0". Repeat this with all sticks and see if it will boot. If it does you have a bad ram.
Check the fan on the Processor. Is it stopped up with lent or dirt.
Try these things and post the results.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 VRViperII

VRViperII
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:26 AM

Posted 12 November 2005 - 01:30 AM

Start with your power supply. May sure the power cord is not loose. It sounds silly but the simplest things are often the cause. See if the fan is coming on inside the power supply. If this appears OK the next thing will be the video card.
I assume the drive (hard drive, cdrom, floppy) lights are coming on. Try removing and re-inserting the video card. If this makes no differences try the memory.
If the rest of the computer is not coming on check the ram. If you have two or more sticks remove all the ram. Insert 1 stick at a time in the first slot and try starting you computer. Slot 1 should be marked "0". Repeat this with all sticks and see if it will boot. If it does you have a bad ram.
Check the fan on the Processor. Is it stopped up with lent or dirt.
Try these things and post the results.

if I remove and put back the video card in and do the same with ram and the same results happen, then does it mean it's the video card then?

i'm asking this beause i wanna get the theorertical stuff down before i head to my friend's place to actually try it.

thanks

#4 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:26 AM

Posted 12 November 2005 - 01:41 AM

The idea behind removing the cards and ram is it could become loose, or has poor contact. If you reinstall the ram and it works with some but not others then you have identified the problem. If it works after all were reinstall one or more may have been poorly seated.
If the processor fan is clogged it could indicate a faulty chip form lack of cooling.
Heat kills computer compontants.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users