Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HDD and CPU question

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 willythecat

willythecat

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:46 PM

Posted 21 September 2010 - 03:27 AM

Although sort of irrelevant to my question, you're bound to ask so, at the moment, l'm running XP SP3, basic Athlon processor, 3gb DDR ram, old ide mobo,TNT Riva model 64 graphics card, a 30gb HDD, and all downloads are saved to an external HDD. I suppose l am classed as a silver surfer, monies tight (well nearly everyone says that), but it's time for a change.
I need a larger hard C drive, and another internal drive as l'm running out of space fast. Also, should l decide to go for Windows 7, then a new graphics card is a must. Also, l do not play any games but just want my apps to run that little bit faster.
I've therefore decided to go for the MSI AM3 760GM-E51 mobo with onboard Radeon vga, and an AMD Sempron 140 which can also be unlocked to an Athlon ll X2 if need be. Now call me an old fuddy duddy, but this will suit me down to a T.
And after all of that, here's the two simple questions - The new mobo comes with 1 IDE socket so l can at least use my existing 30gb drive to get things up and running to start with. Whilst the second HDD will be a SATA drive, do l get a larger PATA drive to replace 30gb one, or have the data transferred onto a SATA drive.
Also, the site that l am buying the Sempron from say that most people also opt for Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro v2. Should l consider adding this to the order as well?
Thanks for any input
Regards
PS. I've also had a new PSU fitted recently which takes into account newer mobo's.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:46 PM

Posted 21 September 2010 - 07:02 AM

The only thing that makes sense to me is to use the SATA drive as your main drive. After you have your OS reinstalled/system setup/configured/squared away, then you transfer what data you need from your 30 gig drive. I suppose you could use that 30 gig drive as some sort of backup drive afterwards. I would definitely not invest in another PATA drive.

Good cooler, not great, but fits smaller cases. I would go with this, http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...ster-_-35103065 . Amazon and a few other retailers have it for $29.99, $10 cheaper than the Egg.

Edited by dpunisher, 21 September 2010 - 07:03 AM.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#3 strolln

strolln

• Members
  • 400 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:46 AM

Posted 21 September 2010 - 07:28 AM

Unless you plan to overclock your cpu, the stock cooler is adequate. Since money is tight, I would forgo the cooler. I agree with dpunisher, don't buy another PATA drive, install the new SATA drive as the boot drive, install/configure OS and apps then install old ide drive as a secondary drive and copy data over. After that you can format the old ide drive and use it as extra storage or get an external case for it and use it for backups.
To Err is human; to really foul things up requires a Bleeping Computer!

#4 willythecat

willythecat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:46 PM

Posted 21 September 2010 - 09:16 AM

Thank you both.
That has answered my question.
Regards

#5 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:46 PM

Posted 22 September 2010 - 08:49 PM

Keep in mind, unlocking that second core may void AMDs warranty, and you can't unlock it with most motherboards-in fact most motherboards Ive seen that people can unlock extra cores with any AMD chip are usually 785-790 chipsent motherboards, and not 760 like yours, now Im not saying you cant Im suggesting you do some research into it to make sure before dumping money into that motherboard if you plan on unlocking the extra core-if not youd be better served forking out a little extra for a better CPU or motherboard,

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,084 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2010 - 05:59 PM

FWIW: You can connect two IDE devices on that one socket provided...they are now made to accommodate both an optical drive and a hard drive...where there is one IDE socket provided.

Louis

#7 audioAl

audioAl

• Members
  • 426 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:46 PM

Posted 29 September 2010 - 11:02 AM

FWIW: You can connect two IDE devices on that one socket provided...they are now made to accommodate both an optical drive and a hard drive...where there is one IDE socket provided.

Louis

Can you elaborate? I have a backup Acer computer, 180 gig pata drive IDE. Thanks in advance,Alan
Windows Vista Ultimate 64 bit/Intel e5300 cpu/ASRock G41M-LE mainboard/G max4500 onboard graphics/4gigs OCZ 800Mhz ram/ VIA onboard HD Vinyl audio/Yamaha RX-V465 HT receiver/ Cambridge SoundWorks and Infinity RS1001 speakers

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,084 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2010 - 12:52 PM

Formerly (more than 2-3 years ago)...motherboards were made with multiple IDE slots. Each slot supported two IDE devices...but there were problems when connecting a hard drive and an optical drive to the same cable...because they operate at different speeds.

The result (too often) was reduced speed of the hard drive.

When manufacturers started catering to SATA slots (since it was obvious that PATA hard drives were not going to be the future)...a board would come with 1 IDE slot and multiple SATA slots.

Operating under the old premises...users would have assumed that they had to have a SATA hard drive, since they only had the one IDE slot and they had no intent of putting a PATA hard drive and an optical drive on the same cable.

But...things had changed...the cables had changed.

Boards today which have 1 IDE connector...if one reads the motherboard manual...will clearly indicate that a user can safely connect a hard drive (master) and an optical drive (slavej) on the same cable with no loss of speed which formerly occurred.

I was skeptical when I first encountered this...but it's true, the two can peacefully coexist on the same cable. I still favor using my old PATA drives as the home of the system partition (because they are smaller), while using SATA drives for data storage.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users