Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Sporadic Internet Connectivity Problems

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 gunner9090

gunner9090

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:06 PM

Posted 21 September 2010 - 01:31 AM

I just recently moved into my college dorm and I've been noticing that I've been having problems with my internet. I play games and do other things that require a constant (albeit not necessarily that fast) internet connection. Ever since I moved in, I noticed that the internet would go out every 10 minutes or so for about 5-20 seconds.

I didn't notice anything from my laptop (other computer) for a while, so I automatically assumed it was my desktop computer. I ran a scan an MalwareBytes didn't come up with anything bad. My roommates then asked me if the internet would go out randomly (because they were experiencing the same thing), so that led me to believe that it was a common problem. I was about to tell the school about it when I noticed that my roommates have fewer connection drops, and they span only a few seconds, if at all.

I'm still not sure if they lose connection altogether or if it just gets really slow, but their connection drops happen less frequently, and only last like a second or two. Sometimes I'll lose connection altogether, when they have just a very slow connection. I've tried a different ethernet wire, different ethernet jack, and connected to the wireless that is near my computer, all with the same result. Would it be something running on my computer?

I'm running Windows 7 on a fairly new computer that doesn't have too many startup items. I'm fairly proficient in troubleshooting these kinds of things but I'm not quite sure where to go to first. I can't figure this out. I couldn't find anything that would help me from a search on these boards. If anyone could help, that would be great. Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users