Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

cannot open any of my .jpg files

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 1952sandyr

1952sandyr

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:25 PM

Posted 21 September 2010 - 12:17 AM

Hello everyone, I'm new to this site but happy to be in the midst of so many computer experts. I am running my computer on XP Home, use the following: AVAST, Spybot Search & Destroy, SuperSpyware, Malwarebytes, am on AT&T Uverse, Lexmark Printer all in one, Mozilla is my default browser, only use IE sparingly because it does not work as well as Mozilla,

My first question to the forum is regarding photos on the hard drive that have mysteriously either disappeared (I know they are in there somewhere,just can't open them) or I just can't open them. They are all jpg files

Edited by Budapest, 21 September 2010 - 02:03 AM.
Moved from Introductions ~BP

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 1952sandyr

1952sandyr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:25 PM

Posted 21 September 2010 - 12:26 AM

I recently installed software for my new Olympus camera. After installation I tried to download pictures from the camera to the computer which did not work. I then tried to work with some of my photos that were on my Webshots site, which consisted mainly of wallpaper and screensavers. None of these, and I had over 130 of them, would open, they all had the .jpg extension. Finally, decided maybe downloading that Olympus software was a bad idea, so I uninstalled the software and deleted it from the system. Now I am still in the dilemma of not being able to open any of my photos on any site, or on my hardrive. I am thinking maybe when I installed the Olympus software it took over my pictures as the default program for my pictures. I don't know what happened.

All I know is that I cannot open my picture files and I want, no I need to get them back into a form in which this would be possible. Some of the photos of my dad are irreplaceable. Please help me with this problem. Isn't there some generic extension I can change all these files to which can be read easily by Adobe or Picture Viewer, or some other program on Windows?

Thanking you in advance........ :thumbsup:

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,248 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:25 PM

Posted 21 September 2010 - 07:04 AM

Error message, exact words, please?

Louis

Go to Explorer view...Tools/Folder Options/File Types tab. Find both .jpg and .jpeg extensions...tell me what program is currently supposed to open each.

Edited by hamluis, 21 September 2010 - 07:10 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users