Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Linux

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Jack421

Jack421

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:56 AM

Posted 20 September 2010 - 11:47 PM

I wanted to know about other Linux distros since all I am familiar with is ubuntu and mint. Someone recently mentioned to me about red hat but I think this distro is not free any information is appreciated how user friendly is red hat

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:56 PM

Posted 21 September 2010 - 02:26 AM

You can find all the information about any distro of linux from here: http://www.distrowatch.com

#3 BlackSpyder

BlackSpyder

Bleeping Big Rig

• BC Advisor
  • 2,456 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:56 AM

Posted 21 September 2010 - 04:29 PM

Fedora is the free version of Redhat. Think of RedHat as a Long Term Support Version of Fedora just for pay. It's release cycle is 18 months like Ubuntu LTS, Fedora and ubuntu both have 6 month release cycles.

In comparing Redhat/Fedora to Ubuntu the biggest difference is that Redhat uses their own pakages (*.rpm) since it was born about the time of Debian (the basis of ubuntu) which uses the *.deb package. I started using linux on Fedora and it is fairly user friendly but doesn't contain restricted drivers or software in it's repos and some can be a pain to install.

Posted Image

#4 Incoming

Incoming

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2010 - 06:08 PM

I'd have to recommend Ubuntu for new Linux users. Ubuntu is extremely user friendly.

Fedora is pretty easy as well, I use it too, but you're living on the edge when you first get it, meaning it has many bugs. I've had it for about a month now and I'm still bugging when I log in.

Ubuntu has some bugs, but they are updated and fixed reasonably quickly, faster than Fedora.

#5 ice2921

ice2921

• Members
  • 177 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:56 AM

Posted 26 September 2010 - 02:52 PM

Stick with Ubuntu; as mentioned above Rehat is a paid distro and is geared more towards intermediate or advanced users. Linux Mint is very good as well.

#6 Incoming

Incoming

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2010 - 07:54 PM

^

Red Hat's Fedora is free.

I find it a bit harder than Ubuntu, but overall it's about the same.

#7 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,755 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:56 AM

Posted 26 September 2010 - 10:28 PM

Ive used fedora never been much of a fan, im more of a OpenSuSe fan. However that being said my dad has used the actual red hat and hes always liked it. . . but to my knowledge hes never tried fedora, and ive never tried red hat. Im sure a lot of the differences are like mentioned-support, and probably a few tools in red hat that arnt available in fedora.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#8 jamby

jamby

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2010 - 02:36 PM

Take a look at Centos at

http://www.centos.org/

It has a help forum and is a Red Hat Enterprise clone.
I am running this on 4 machines and its great.
I came to it from the original red hat line.

Jim

#9 ejames82

ejames82

• Members
  • 396 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:56 AM

Posted 27 September 2010 - 09:06 PM

i agree that ubuntu is the most user friendly distro, but not the newest, latest lucid lynx. i actually think the best version is 8.04, hardy heron. it seems to be much more solid and reliable than all other versions (at least it has consistently been for me). it's too bad it will be out-dated soon.

a couple of things that stand out is the OS installer and the synaptic package manager (installs your software). they work very good.

#10 Ramchu

Ramchu

• Members
  • 112 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:56 AM

Posted 28 September 2010 - 07:07 AM

I use PCLinuxOS
It is rated as one of the best for users that are migrating from WIndows.
It is a rolling release which means that you can stay updated without having to reinstall every 6 months.

PCLinuxOS is a user-friendly Linux distribution with out-of-the-box support for many popular graphics and sound cards, as well as other peripheral devices. The bootable live CD provides an easy-to-use graphical installer and the distribution sports a wide range of popular applications for the typical desktop user, including browser plugins and full multimedia playback. The intuitive system configuration tools include Synaptic for package management, Addlocale to add support to many languages, Getopenoffice to install the latest OpenOffice.org, and Mylivecd to create a customised live CD.

PCLinuxOS is available featuring various desktop interfaces depending on your needs.

KDE Desktop
Gnome Desktop
Gnome ZenMini Desktop
LXDE Desktop
XFCE Desktop
Enlightenment Desktop
OpenBox Desktop

Get PClinuxOS here : http://www.pclinuxos.com/?page_id=10

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users