Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Legal Issue Question Regarding

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Jove

Jove

• Members
  • 2,739 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:25 AM

Posted 20 September 2010 - 10:00 PM

I was under the impression. that I have read and or heard, many times, . concerning the need to re-install Windows, whether it be 98 or XP, etc., if you don't have one, "get a copy of this from a friend".

If this assumption is correct, . . then is not a legal issue ?

Edited by Jove, 20 September 2010 - 10:03 PM.

When you don't have to worry about your computer anymore, you can start
living again !

vrwqzc.gif
Success is a result, not a goal. . . . Flaubert

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Platypus

Platypus

• 13,708 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:25 PM

Posted 21 September 2010 - 04:18 AM

If the computer has a valid license for the Windows that is installed on it, but the install disc is lost or the system didn't come with one, then Windows can be repaired or re-installed by borrowing the use of someone else's disc. There's no legal issue with this, one disc is as good as another. It just needs to be the same type of Windows.

There would be a legal issue if someone made an extra copy of the borrowed disc, or if the Windows is installed onto a computer that doesn't have a license to use it. That could happen if a borrowed XP disc was used to put XP onto a Windows 98 system, or a newly built (or made-up from old parts) system.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#3 Jove

Jove
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,739 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2010 - 04:55 AM

OK, My question pertains to the DELL Dimensions 2350 that a friend gave to me, not sure what it had originally but I believe it came to me with XP, but the Hard drive had to be reformatted and a DELL SP 1 was installed on it from a borrowed notebook disc, that worked it was then upgraded with a Windows SP2 upgrade disc, in order to install another borrowed DELL SP3
XP Professional. This then will require an activation. I do not see any activation notice on the systems Properties, but there is a notification of how many days are left to activate popping up from the notification window.

I don't think I'd have a problem getting the required information, . . will this be a legal issue ?

living again !

vrwqzc.gif

#4 Platypus

Platypus

• 13,708 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2010 - 06:58 AM

Both systems will have had OEM Windows, but the standard license for the Dimension 2350 was for XP Home. If the COA (Certificate of Authenticity) sticker on the system case is for XP Home, I don't think you will be able to install XP Pro using the key it provides, and that system wouldn't be entitled to have the XP Pro installed onto it and activated.

What XP version does the COA sticker on the Dimension 2350 refer to?

Edited by Platypus, 21 September 2010 - 06:59 AM.

#5 Jove

Jove
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,739 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2010 - 12:15 PM

XP-Home

living again !

vrwqzc.gif

#6 Jove

Jove
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,739 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2010 - 06:01 PM

Sorry, I just noticed, I don't think there is a version, am I not seeing something ?

BTW, . . I'm not looking for an ethical way to skirt the LAW, I only want to do what is legal here, . . as I am not needing a reprimand from BC, . .

However I am seeing many many pages referring to different cases,

I'm thinking of maybe calling MS, . . or writing DELL ?

Edited by Jove, 21 September 2010 - 06:06 PM.

living again !

vrwqzc.gif

#7 Jove

Jove
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,739 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2010 - 06:18 PM

It is Possible to do this, . . of Corse I am still not sure of the legal issue.

Found This;
Drivers for Dell Dimension 2350 PC
Hi! I inherited my daughter's Dell Dimension 2350. I upgraded it by reformatting and installing Windows XP Pro. It came w/Home Edition.
DELL XP Pro

Edited by Jove, 21 September 2010 - 06:19 PM.

living again !

vrwqzc.gif

#8 Platypus

Platypus

• 13,708 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2010 - 06:29 PM

I'm not looking for an ethical way to skirt the LAW, I only want to do what is legal here

Understood.

Normally the product description will be shown on the COA sticker:

Posted Image

If the license for that computer is for XP Home, then Home will need to be re-installed in order to re-activate and keep using that license. From your install procedure you mentioned above, it should only have been necessary to install the initial XP Home SP1, then you could install the SP3 patch and update/activate online.

#9 Jove

Jove
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,739 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2010 - 07:56 PM

Home Edition, . . .

Are there any exceptions, . . as I read a bit into this I am getting something about rebuilds, (personally, I think these laws are a bit of an infringement on my freedoms), I just can't put my finger exactly on it. I can understand pirating and counterfeit, but the control of retro fitting parts that are legally paid for, is a bit oppressive.

OK in the final glitch if this happens to be it, can I buy my way out of this with any cost saving, . . .

or have I gotten a sweet taste of the good life, and have to pay through the nose to get another lick ?

Hope I'm not insulting you I see that your a participant of MVP

living again !

vrwqzc.gif

#10 Platypus

Platypus

• 13,708 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2010 - 11:55 PM

No, I don't feel insulted... it was nice to be awarded MVP for two years, but it doesn't attach me to Microsoft at all. My motivation is still simply to help people with as much accurate information as I'm able, as part of communities like BC here.

With re-building and using parts, the Windows license, if it is the cheaper OEM, goes with the motherboard/CPU. So as long as X number of motherboards go with the same number of Windows licenses, no-one has to lose out there. The actual computer can be very different, with everything else upgraded - larger hard drive, more memory, better video card, monitor etc.

The situation with licenses really just comes down to getting what was paid for. XP Pro was a more expensive OS than Home, so MS don't see why the owner of that computer should get to use Pro having only paid for Home. Are the extra features of Pro actually going to be used on that system, or will Home do just as well?

#11 Jove

Jove
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,739 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2010 - 02:10 AM

My communications with DELL for what it's worth ;

Hello, I have a DELL Dimensions 2350 and it needed a New Hard drive, This
has been built up using a DELL SP1 Disc and a Windows XPSP2 upgrade, can I
use a borrowed XP Pro sp3 to upgrade it further ?

Thank you for contacting Dell Hardware Online Support.

As I have checked the records of this system, yes you can upgrade or use the disc for Windows XP Professional on your DIM8200,2.53,P4N,533,SUPERMAN, but just make sure that you have the product key in case upon re-installation it would ask for it. If the OS disc won't work on the system, please do contact us so that we will be able to send you a replacement media as a one-time deal only since the system's warranty has already expired last 10/18/2005.

P.S. Ref, your Previous Post, . .

The Word Pad that is actually, if I'm not mistaken, an "Office App. and not word pad looks very interesting and so does the Photo App, I don't have that in front of me, .
I like the look and feel of Pro, it seems a little more stream-lined and seems to operate
I guess nicer might be a good term.

When installed the XP pro, I believe did require me to load the sp2 update, again, if I'm not mistaken.

Edited by Jove, 23 September 2010 - 02:33 AM.

living again !

vrwqzc.gif

#12 Platypus

Platypus

• 13,708 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2010 - 05:34 AM

Heh, SUPERMAN... :thumbsup:

That looks like a good result from Dell support. It may be that the model was offered with XP Pro during its life.

You could try activation, if it activates online you'll be set. If it requires contacting Microsoft, you can tell them what Dell support said.

As for the differences, I'm not sure if those are actually different between Home and Pro. The WordPad is identical on the Home and Pro systems I have here. It's always possible Dell have something custom in their installation.

#13 Jove

Jove
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,739 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2010 - 02:04 AM

The Word Pad that is actually, if I'm not mistaken, an "Office App. and not word pad looks very interesting and so does the Photo App,

Thanks, . . I didn't know what to call the application at the time as I actually meant that it was a type of word pad, . . so, . . yeah I know that there exactly the same.

And yes, . . I think that is starting to look like a decent break, hope it works out, . .

Later Man.

living again !

vrwqzc.gif

#14 Jove

Jove
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,739 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2010 - 06:32 PM

My communications with DELL for what it's worth ;

Hello, I have a DELL Dimensions 2350 and it needed a New Hard drive, This
has been built up using a DELL SP1 Disc and a Windows XPSP2 upgrade, can I
use a borrowed XP Pro sp3 to upgrade it further ?

Thank you for contacting Dell Hardware Online Support.

As I have checked the records of this system, yes you can upgrade or use the disc for Windows XP Professional on your DIM8200,2.53,P4N,533,SUPERMAN, but just make sure that you have the product key in case upon re-installation it would ask for it. If the OS disc won't work on the system, please do contact us so that we will be able to send you a replacement media as a one-time deal only since the system's warranty has already expired last 10/18/2005.

Platypus,

Let me double check to see what page I'm on here, . .as the Product Key for some reason was invalid, . .

During the activation process I am asked for a twenty five digit product key,.

Is this the product key from the Dell I have installed XP Pro on, . . . or is it the Product Key from the PC for the system disc that came with that model ?

living again !

vrwqzc.gif

#15 Platypus

Platypus

• 13,708 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2010 - 12:40 AM

You will have to use the product key that goes with the XP Pro disc you're using. At activation a unique activation code is generated based on the hardware in the computer you've installed the XP Pro onto. If this is not accepted, then you'll need to get the XP Pro from Dell, that matches the Dell computer, and activate using the product key supplied with it by Dell.

How to change the product key at the time of activation:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/810892

Edited by Platypus, 03 October 2010 - 12:42 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users