Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Display on Laptop too Small

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Cassiopeia

Cassiopeia

• Members
  • 229 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:52 PM

Posted 20 September 2010 - 09:44 PM

The computer in question is a Dell Laptop Latitude C810. Video is Nvidia GeForce2 Go. Getting it to boot was an accomplishment unto itself.

The display fills the screen, but the typeface and icons are so small as to be illegible. Changing to a smaller resolution only keeps everything the same size and shrinks the screen size. For instance, changing it to 1400 x 1050 leaves an inch of black around the desktop. Changing the resolution to 1280 x 1084 leaves a larger space around the desktop.

I have changed the refresh rate. I have changed to "large icons". I have adjusted DPI settings. I have used all options in Settings - Advance in the properties dialogue box.

Using any browser, the "page" is small. Scrolling with CTL+mouse wheel enlarges parts of it, but not everything. The browser itself is full-screen, but whatever site I'm visiting, the page appears in the center with much white area all around.

Any suggestions? The laptop is a great one, even if old.

Cass

Edited by Cassiopeia, 20 September 2010 - 09:48 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:52 PM

Posted 21 September 2010 - 07:02 AM

I would uninstall the current video drivers, reboot...and then reinstall the drivers.

If the problems continue...I'd guess that my video chip or motherboard is on the way out.

Louis

#3 Cassiopeia

Cassiopeia
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 229 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2010 - 08:00 AM

Wow. Talk about frying pan to fire. When it booted, its display was about 5"x5" on a 15" monitor (lcd screen on laptop). On an external monitor, flat panel, it appears large. The setting is 800 x 600. Changing the settings to the maximum, fills the screen, but still tiny icons and words.

With the display at 5" x 5" on boot, the icons are normal and the Blackberry software dialogue box fills the lower corner of the screen and disappears off it. (No, I don't have Blackberry service. The software was on it when I got it.)

Any more things to try? Even if it is basic, that is fine. (My in-law's monitor stopped working, so instead of checking the plug, they called me to fix it.)

Edit as trying different things:

Pressing FN F7 (word on key is Font), it enlarges to fit the whole screen. Changing the settings, sends it back to the small square. Pressing FN F7, after the hard drive light stops blinking, brings the screen back to full.

hmmmm

Cass

Update: browser window is strange. The window itself is full-sized, but the page displayed is centered and small. Enlarging display only applies to that page and restores to small upon opening new tab.

Edited by Cassiopeia, 22 September 2010 - 09:04 AM.

#4 Cassiopeia

Cassiopeia
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 229 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2010 - 10:59 AM

Still too small. Any other suggestions?

#5 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,735 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:52 PM

Posted 11 October 2010 - 06:36 PM

Do you have display set to "stretch"?

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#6 Gabrial

Gabrial

• Members
  • 468 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:52 PM

Posted 12 October 2010 - 03:12 PM

You are using a laptop with the LCD panel, correct? To remove the black bands, the BIOS should have a setting to stretch lower resolutions to full screen, this is a BIOS function and not a Windows function. Also, you can make your icons and text bigger. In the "Display Propterties" window, click the "Appearance" tab. Font Size is that the bottom, and icon size and placement are under the "Advanced" button. This could mess up how things appear in some software, as much software expects things to be set to defaults.

Edited by Gabrial, 12 October 2010 - 03:17 PM.

#7 Cassiopeia

Cassiopeia
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 229 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2010 - 09:47 AM

Sounds like fun! I'll try it as soon as I can get it back from the in-laws. Their pc's integrated video card crashed, so I lent the laptop to them and attached it to an external monitor. I'm now looking for a graphics/video card, but can't determine how to tell the ?x of the agp or pci slots.

By the way, Gabrial's method did not work. That was my first attempt. I will try the BIOS asap.

Edited by Cassiopeia, 25 October 2010 - 09:48 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users