Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My Laptop Won't Turn On

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 dpitch40

dpitch40

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:18 PM

Posted 20 September 2010 - 09:42 PM

I'm having extremely worrying problems with my 2-year-old Toshiba A305 Satellite laptop. Namely, it won't start. I plug it into the adapter and the power/battery lights light up normally. But when I try to turn it on, it appears to be working fine for about half a second before the hard drive activity light turns off and stays off, and from then on nothing happens at all. The other indicator lights still say it's technically on, but there is no hard drive activity, nothing displayed onscreen, no sounds of activity...just nothing. I've tried plugging it into my desktop computer's monitor via VGA, which didn't work, so the monitor is likely fine. It was working fine less than an hour ago, and nothing extraordinary has happened to it since then (I didn't drop it or anything). What steps can I take to troubleshoot it?

Oh, and sorry if this is in the wrong forum; I don't think Windows 7 has anything to do with it since it stops doing anything before it can get past BIOS, but I don't know where else to put it.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dpitch40

dpitch40
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2010 - 11:26 PM

Okay, it just turned on after I left it plugged in for an hour or so. What is going on?

#3 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:18 AM

Posted 21 September 2010 - 02:29 AM

Sounds to me like you need to charge your battery or buy a new battery.

#4 dpitch40

dpitch40
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2010 - 08:29 AM

BIOS battery, you mean? Like I said, this happens when my battery is removed and my computer is connected directly to AC power. And when my laptop battery was in, it was fully charged,

#5 troublesh00ter

troublesh00ter

• Members
  • 561 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2010 - 09:42 AM

The laptop is plugged in and the battery is out, right? Still won't cut on? But it will after staying plugged in for X amount of time?

You're battery adapter is TOAST!!! Happens all the time. I've purchased computers whose battery adapters went out right after the return policy expires :\

It turned on after you left it plugged in because that big block that sits in between the wires that plug from the wall to the computer will hold a certain amount of energy (not very much).

When an adapter does bad, that doesn't usually mean it's "broken" but rather it's just not as good as it was. Nearly all batteries are susceptible to something called battery memory.

To exemplify battery memory...

Your laptop battery dies completely...
You plug it into the wall...
You only charge it up halfway (50%)...

Here's the damage!
The other 50% you didn't bother to charge cuz you just had to have it is now battery memory.
You haven't lost that 50% YET but you will if you continue to charge your battery in this manner.

From a DEAD CHARGE it is wise to FULLY CHARGE your battery or else you will damage your battery due to battery memory.

Why are batteries made this way? Good question, I've asked that for years!
The answer.......? MONEY

Retail batteries at BestBuy/OfficeDepot/Staples/WalMart are pretty expensive. You'll pay at least $70 (REALLY RARE PRICE) but the most common ones I've seen range from $80-$100.

WTF man WHY?!?!?!?

Because everyone and their grandma knows you NEED a laptop battery for it to be of any use to you. With that in mind, it's easy to gouge price on a laptop battery.

I hope this has been helpful. And if you're thinking right now: No way it can't be the adapter!
I understand how you feel. I never want to admit when my battery/adapter goes bad because I know it means I have to admit someone else access to $80 + dollars out of my bank account.

It sux! BELIEVE IT!!!!
for3ver,
goose90proof

#6 dpitch40

dpitch40
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2010 - 09:52 AM

I'm a bit confused. You mean my AC adapter is bad? Then why does it still not turn on with just the battery in? Or if it's just the battery, why doesn't it turn on when it's plugged in but the battery is out?

As for my charging habits, my battery rarely goes below 50%, and I always charge it to full capacity. Is this also bad? I do tend to leave it out of my computer when I'm using it at home to preserve battery life.

#7 troublesh00ter

troublesh00ter

• Members
  • 561 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2010 - 10:46 AM

Yes, I'm guessing the AC adapter is bad.

It won't turn on with the battery in probably because the adapter isn't charging the battery.

It won't turn on when it's plugged in because the adapter isn't delivering enough charge.

It most likely turned on when you left it plugged in for an hour because that block (the block that is part of the AC adapter) gained some charge and it ran off that (not for very long, am I right)?

You want to charge it all the way, yes but you typically don't want to leave it plugged in all the time. It sounds like you have good charging habits but still. Battery adapters are made to break and so is the battery.

It's just like light bulbs. The technology exists to make light bulbs last a lot longer than they do but the manufacturers choose to use a weaker filament so they die after so much use.
for3ver,
goose90proof

#8 dpitch40

dpitch40
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2010 - 11:03 PM

I want you to be right--replacing the adapter would be much quicker and cheaper than sending it in for repairs. But it runs just fine after I manage to get it to turn on, and the battery is already fully charged (assuming my laptop's power lights are trustworthy). Is this consistent with a bad adapter? I'm worried it's some kind of problem with an internal power mechanism. In any case, my friend has an adapter that I've tested to work with my laptop (same brand) that I can test on Thursday, but I highly doubt it's the adapter as it happens on battery power as well.

#9 dpitch40

dpitch40
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2010 - 10:35 PM

Okay, it hasn't turned on in days. I think it's really dead. Before the problem came and went, but now it's here to stay. Does anyone have an idea of what might be wrong?

#10 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:18 AM

Posted 07 October 2010 - 10:37 PM

Motherboard may have to be replaced.

It all depends on the outcome of the below advice.

EDIT: took out the word will as it sounded a bit amateurish.

Edited by cryptodan, 08 October 2010 - 01:24 AM.

#11 Jacee

Jacee

Bleeping around

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,716 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:18 PM

Posted 08 October 2010 - 12:34 AM

AC Adapter! ... Buy a new one. If that's not the problem, then you can always take it back to the store you bought it from (if local) with the receipt.
This happened to my laptop when I was out of state. New one worked perfectly :huh:

MS_MVP.gif
MS MVP Windows-Security 2006-2016
Member of UNITE, the Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

Admin PC Pitstop

#12 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:18 AM

Posted 08 October 2010 - 01:17 AM

I agree with Jacee suggestion, go buy a new adapter and see how that goes first before you return the laptop to your local laptop dealer.

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#13 dpitch40

dpitch40
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2010 - 11:24 PM

If you didn't read it above, IT ISN'T THE ADAPTER. It happens when my laptop is not plugged in and on battery power. It happens with any combination of battery and adapter. I tried another Toshiba adapter, no success.

However, as I was typing this, I tried it with just the battery in and it randomly turned on! I'm just going to never turn it off now... I'd still dearly like to know what's going on.

#14 troublesh00ter

troublesh00ter

• Members
  • 561 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2010 - 01:19 PM

Does it work with the adapter plugged in and battery IN?

Does it work with the adapter plugged in and battery OUT?

Does it work with just the battery IN?

Does the adapter plug into the laptop like it's supposed to? Does it not sit/click in as well as it used to?

I've seen the little plug the adapter plugs into get damaged or dislocated from it's original position. Is yours?
for3ver,
goose90proof

#15 dpitch40

dpitch40
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2010 - 11:47 PM

Yes. I have tried it with every possible combination of adapter and battery connection. Nothing changes it, getting it to boot seems to be pure luck. The adapter plugs in fine and when I do, the indicator lights confirm that my computer is receiving power. I hadn't turned my computer off in over a month until earlier today when I accidentally did. I got it to start again, but I doubt the problem is gone. I'm either sending this computer in for motherboard replacement or getting a new one, but I'd still like to know what was going on so I can keep it from happening again. I'm wondering if my habit of running it with the battery out has something to do with it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users