Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Trying to recover my pc files

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 final_burden345

final_burden345

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:56 PM

Posted 20 September 2010 - 07:17 PM

So recently my computer had some problems and, long story short, windows 7 doesnt run at all. the computer boots up with the VAIO logo, and from there you can access your restore options, or wait until the windows logo comes up and access a few other boot options which all do nothing to help. After that, you get the option to boot in safe mode or regular mode, but regardless it leads to a light black screen with only a mouse cursor. As far as i know, my only option is to restore. however, the main problem is that i dont want to lose all the data on my computer. so i am trying to use an external harddrive that i have just bought and the rescue data option of the system restore to back up my hard drive before i start the restore. The drive i just bought though, the my book essentials, will not allow any data to be backed up to it, although the program will back up to my flash drive. There is an option to install a driver for your external drive with the rescue data option, but it wont load the .inf file on the drive. ive tried transfering it onto my flash drive using a different computer, and running it there, but it still wont read the file. Is there a little linux based program i could potentially put on my flash drive and use to back up my files? Or any other ideas you guys can come up with? thanks for your help

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:56 PM

Posted 20 September 2010 - 08:48 PM

One of the best web sites I have found so far that has apps for doing just about anything is http://sourceforge.net/directory/

Most of the Apps here are free and you will find a good source of linux based programs as well.

By the way, the repair option in Windows 7 does not install a new partition, so therefore it does not erase your original installation, it only repairs the files windows needs to boot and function properly so the computer will boot successfully into Windows.

Bruce.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users