Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

finding new computer on office network

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 gib65

gib65

• Members
  • 162 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:14 AM

Posted 20 September 2010 - 05:57 PM

I've got a laptop running Windows XP and I've plugged it into the office network. I'm able to surf the net and ping other computers. Other computers are able to ping back. What I'd like to do now is go into My Network Places and find it on the office network. Is there a website that goes through a step-by-step proceedure for how to get this done?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:14 PM

Posted 21 September 2010 - 02:33 AM

What exactly are you trying to do?

#3 thrillhouse

thrillhouse

• Members
  • 1,040 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2010 - 03:16 AM

http://www.ehow.com/how_2019559_view-files-network.html

#4 gib65

gib65
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 162 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2010 - 12:01 PM

Thanks thrillhouse,

After reading through that article and asking around to other people, I'm placing my bets on the probability that the two computers are on different workgroups. When I go to My Network Places on the laptop, I see a whole bunch of computers most of which I recognize (the one's I don't I'm probably just unfamiliar with their names). And then when I go to My Network Places on my desktop, all I get is what looks like a network folder with our WAN IP address. I click on it and after authenticating I get taken to our FTP site on the office server.

Is there a way to figure out what workgroup each computer is on, and how to put them on the same workgroup? I've researched this on the net and haven't come up with anything answering my questions yet, and I'm continuing to research as I await replies from helpful people like yourself. Thanks. :thumbsup:

#5 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,545 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:14 AM

Posted 21 September 2010 - 12:36 PM

Control panel - system icon - computer name tab.
This will show you the workgroup name
The workgroup name must be the same and all computer names must be different
In the beginning there was the command line.

#6 thrillhouse

thrillhouse

• Members
  • 1,040 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2010 - 02:52 PM

yes, and default's usually mshome or workgroup

#7 gib65

gib65
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 162 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2010 - 12:01 PM

Control panel - system icon - computer name tab.
This will show you the workgroup name
The workgroup name must be the same and all computer names must be different

Well, that rules out my theory. Both computers are on "WORKGROUP".

Any other guesses why the laptop is not showing up on my desktop (or why only the FTP site on our server shows up)?

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,298 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2010 - 12:06 PM

Sometimes...you have to manually add sites to My Network Places...before the computers mesh.

If the workgroup includes all the systems which it should...then I would simply try to add a new location from one of the systems reflected in the workgroup.

Atlernatively...you could check the protocols used by each system...and ensure that they are the same on each system.

Louis

#9 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,545 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2010 - 12:53 PM

Make sure that you have something shared
In the beginning there was the command line.

#10 gib65

gib65
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 162 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2010 - 01:25 PM

Sometimes...you have to manually add sites to My Network Places...before the computers mesh.

If the workgroup includes all the systems which it should...then I would simply try to add a new location from one of the systems reflected in the workgroup.

Atlernatively...you could check the protocols used by each system...and ensure that they are the same on each system.

Louis

Well, I'm trying to add a new location. Tell me if this is what you mean:

I go to My Network Places > Add a network place > Wizard pops up and I click next > It asks me to select a service provider; options are: "MSN communities" or "choose another network location"; I choose another network location > It asks me to type in the internet or network address; I click browse > the browsing lists this:

My Network Places
.....Entire Network
..........Microsoft Terminal Services
...............\\tsclient
..........Microsoft Windows Network
..........Symantec SNAC Network Provider
..........Web Client Network
.....[our WAN IP address]

All except the last one gray out the OK button, and the last one I already have in My Network Places (it's the FTP site on our server).

#11 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,298 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2010 - 04:06 PM

That's the one. Clicking Microsoft Windows Network should reveal...the workgroup. Clicking the workgroup should reveal..all recognized systems within the workgroup.

Clicking any of those icons...reveals the shared files/folders/drives from that system.

Louis

#12 gib65

gib65
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 162 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2010 - 11:57 AM

Okay, but then why is the OK button grayed out, making it impossible for me to choose it? Note that I can't expand it any further. What you see in the list above is what I get after expanding all branches as far as possible.

Edited by gib65, 24 September 2010 - 11:59 AM.

#13 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:14 PM

Posted 24 September 2010 - 12:03 PM

then you may need to be a member of the domain to view that workgroup.

#14 Gabrial

Gabrial

• Members
  • 468 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2010 - 12:59 PM

Do you have a domain controller on the network? How large is the infrastructure at your buisness? You may need to get the network administrator to add your machine to the domain controller to get it to connect to the 'workgroup'.

#15 gib65

gib65
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 162 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2010 - 01:28 PM

This is becoming more complicated than I anticipated. Maybe what I need is a crash course in networking. Does anyone know of an online tutorial that starts from scratch and assumes no prior understanding on the learner's part?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users