Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 vs. Windows XP

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Murrar

Murrar

• Members
  • 193 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:55 AM

Posted 20 September 2010 - 05:50 PM

I have Windows XP on my computer right now and I am considering installing Windows 7 on my computer. Can anyone tell me this. Does What is the main difference between a Windows 7 screen and a Windows XP screen? Does Windows 7 have tabs on its screen? Thank you very much. Murrar

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2010 - 08:30 PM

I am not exactly sure what you mean by tabs on the screen.

there are a lot of differences between Windows XP and Windows 7, part of the differences is that there was Windows Vista in-between which added new features Windows XP did not have and Windows 7 is an improved version of Windows Vista.

The best way to introduce you to Windows 7 is by pointing you to the Microsoft web site and the Windows 7 Experience web page.

This web page will explain in detail the features Windows 7 has. http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows...2.5&D3D=3.2

This link is to Microsofts Windows 7 compatibility web site. This lists both software and hardware. http://www.microsoft.com/windows/compatibi...indows-7/en-us/

This is the Windows 7 upgrade advisor. This will tell you if your computer can run Windows 7. http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-7...de-advisor.aspx

Finally, this link will explain to you how to upgrade Windows Xp to Windows 7. You can not upgrade Windows XP to Windows 7 the normal way you would upgrade one operation system to another when it comes to upgrading Windows XP to Windows 7. This link to Microsoft explains why this is the case and it explains how to save your Windows XP settings to a disk and how to import it into Windows 7 after performing a fresh clean install of Windows 7. Details at this link. http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows...xp-to-windows-7

Hope this helps, you should now have enough information to answer all your questions at the links I posted above.

Bruce.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#3 Derek Ellis

Derek Ellis

• Members
  • 257 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2010 - 11:09 AM

I have Windows 7, and this is what Windows Vista should have been.

I love the feature (don't know what its called), i think its the window preview, you can just hover your mouse pointer over an open window in the taskbar and a preview of that window will open up.

Installing devices has gotten much easier. As long as you are connected to the Internet, all you have to do is plug in a device and Windows will find the drivers for you. I have a few CD's that came with my devices, and i have yet to use them on Windows 7.

I personally dont like the pinned icons on the taskbar. I un-pin them, because when i close a window, i want to have that disapear from the taskbar. To me, seeing an icon at the bottom means something is running. I like to have a clear taskbar when my computer is idle.

I also like to have the text appear on an open window in the taskbar so that when its open i can read what it is, something about me i guess is just seeing an icon is not enough. To change this, right click in the open area of the taskbar, and select properties, find taskbar buttons:, then select on the drop down menu, combine when taskbar is full. This will show text alongside the icons, and will revert to just the icon to save room with lots of windows open.

#4 benyahuda

benyahuda

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2010 - 12:33 PM

I was a Windows XP die hard. I got Vista Ultimate when it came out and installed it and within days uninstalled it and went back to my old XP x64. When service pack 1 for Vista came out I reinstalled Vista, upgraded it, ran it again for a few days and was still so disgusted with it that XP went right back on.

Now with Windows 7, I got Win 7 Professional and installed it and never went back. This IS what Vista should have been. If your machine can run it you will probably love it too. If all you need is more memeory, get it, it's cheap enough. Win 7 does not need all that much video card so if you even have one it should be adequate. The upgrade process is a little more involved from Win XP as a previous poster mentioned, but backing up your data should be part of any users 'computer hygiene' anyway.

One point to remember is that if you upgrade from XP and need to reinstall Win 7 again in the future, you will need to reinstall XP first. Or buy someones old Vista CD, or buy the Win 7 Full version instead of the Upgrade version. Microsoft has its reasons, but I personally think that was a wrong decision to make. It's like they wish to punish users who wouldn't buy Vista or something. There may be other reasons why Win 7 cannot upgrade fromn the XP instal disks but I have no idea what they might be.

But I digress, Win 7 is definately worth every penny (dollar, euro, whatever) you pay for it, and any little hassles too.

Edited by benyahuda, 25 September 2010 - 12:37 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users