Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Good Old Games gone for good or is there a surprise around the corner?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,462 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:30 PM

Posted 20 September 2010 - 04:30 PM

Good Old Games is a popular online site that sells games that are no longer available for retail purchase. When visitors went to the site today, instead of seeing the usual catalog of games to purchase, they were greeted with a message that implied that Gog.com was either shutdown or closing business.The first message that visitors were greeted with was:
Dear GOG users, We have recently had to give serious thought to whether we could really keep GOG.com the way it is. We've debated on it for quite some time and, unfortunately, we've decided that GOG.com simply cannot remain in its current form. We're very grateful for all support we've received from all of you in the past two years. Working on GOG.com was a great adventure for all of us and an unforgettable journey to the past, through the long and wonderful history of PC gaming. This doesn't mean the idea behind GOG.com is gone forever. We're closing down the service and putting this era behind us as new challenges await. On a technical note, this week we'll put in place a solution to allow everyone to re-download their games. Stay tuned to this page and follow us on Twitter and Facebook for updates. All the best, GOG.com Team
This obviously concerned many users who had recently purchased games and had not had the time to download their purchases or for those who needed to download older purchases. This message must have come across to team being Gog.com as they posted a subsequent message that states:
UPDATE 20.09.2010 First of all, we apologize everyone for the whole situation and closing GOG.com. We do understand the timing for taking down the site caused confusion and many users didn't manage to download all their games. Unfortunately we had to close the service due to business and technical reasons. At the same time we guarantee that every user who bought any game on GOG.com will be able to download all their games with bonus materials, DRM-free and as many times as they need starting this Thursday. The official statement from GOG.com's management concerning the ongoing events is planned on Wednesday. If you want to receive further information about GOG.com, please send an email to update_media@gog.com if you're a media representative or to update_users@gog.com if you're a user without a GOG account.
The messages left on the main site are cryptic at best and really don't lean one way or the other in regards to whether the site is closing or just shutdown for some reason. The fact that they also plan on making an official announcement on Wednesday and state that they will have a service available to download old games on Thursday makes me feel that they are actually going to introduce a new version of the site instead of actually closing down GOG for good.Further digging around shows that there is a a domain registered by the owners of GOG called Gogbeta.info. When you visit this site it takes you to a restricted page that requires a username and password. Is this a new version of GOG or just an old development site? I guess we just have to wait till tomorrow to find out.Update: 9/20/10 - 5:51 PM ESTFurther digging around points to this being a large marketing stunt and possibly the announcement of DRM being added to the titles from GOG. GOG prided itself on being DRM free, which allowed much more freedom for those who purchased games on the site. DRM free, though, probably made it so many developers refused to add DRM free title to their catalog. This is hinted at in a recent post to their twitter account as shown below.

A post from Michal Kicinski, the CEO of CD Projekt, was also found on a Polish financial forum. This post told the readers not to panic after reading what would be posted on the GOG site. The link to the post is here (Google Translate).

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,250 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:30 PM

Posted 20 September 2010 - 06:26 PM

I own several games that I purchased from GOG and would hate to see them close down. On the other hand, I take a very dim view of most DRM schemes and would likely not patronize GOG if they came back with any form of DRM more invasive than a basic product key check.

Now, if you will excuse me, I have to go check on my backup copies of the GOG game installers I have.

#3 rms4evr

rms4evr

• Members
  • 812 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:30 PM

Posted 20 September 2010 - 10:35 PM

Great...one of the most appealing things about GOG (no DRM) may be gone for good. *Perfect*

I still hope they come back in some form, though. While I have a few games from there, I had a giant wishlist of games that I wanted to buy...I would still like the opportunity to buy them. But it is very sad that DRM free games are being beaten back by intrusive copy schemes that just make things difficult for the customer. :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users