Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Question PLEASE HELP: DBAN ERROR /dev/sdb

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Sandy_S

Sandy_S

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:48 AM

Posted 20 September 2010 - 03:57 PM

Okay, you can laugh all you want at me, but in the end please remember to be kind, because I am not a 'tech' person and I rely on the patience and kindness of those who are knowledable to help me understand things in a non-technical way. So if there is anyone out there that can answer this question, I would 'greatly' appreciate it.

Anyway, here is the problem. All three of my computers got infected with some nasty trojans and worms and I decided to format all of them using DBAN. The desktop format went flawlessly .. however I have run into a problem with my Gateway M-6337 laptop (this is the specs: http://support.gateway.com/s//Mobile/2008/...15606Rnv.shtml). I used DBAN dban-2.2.6_i586.iso burned on a CD. I placed a Lexar JumpDrive into the USB port right beside the DVD drive. I booted the computer and everything went according to plan ... I chose method: RCMP TSSIT OPS-II (which I understand now was overkill just to get rid of viruses) ... it took approximately 15 hours to complete. In the end this was the result:

* PASS SCSI Disk LEXAR JUMPDRIVE 1.03 123 MB
* ERROR /dev/sdb (process crash)
* PASS ATA Disk WDC WD2500BEVS-2 01.8 232GB WD-WXH488660391

So my question is this ... 'because I have no idea what a /dev/sdb is, I just want to know if anyone can tell me is there any way that any kind of trojan / worm / virus, etc., could have survived because of this /dev/sdb crash ... or am I safe to reinstall my software and carry on?
Thank you so much for any and all advice and or information you can offer. I appreciate your time and best wishes to everyone who takes the time to help strangers with their problems just out of the kindness of their hearts.

Sandy

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sandy_S

Sandy_S
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:48 AM

Posted 21 September 2010 - 09:57 AM

I'm BEGGING someone to please reply to this. I am going crazy. I don't know how much more worry and paranoia I can take. PLEASE! *Anybody*? All I want to know is: is there any way that any kind of trojan / worm / virus, etc., could have survived because of this /dev/sdb crash ... or am I safe to reinstall my software and carry on? Thank you so much.

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,394 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:48 AM

Posted 21 September 2010 - 11:34 AM

I have never used DBAN so I'm not familiar with any errors it may throw. However, when doing a Google Search for ERROR /dev/sdb (process crash), it appears to be a common error.

If no one else replies you may want to check with Darik's Boot and Nuke Support.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users