Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

A few startups and a boot thing

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Surma

Surma

• Members
  • 140 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:42 AM

Posted 20 September 2010 - 03:25 PM

AppleMobileDeviceService.exe
As i understand it this one is used when connecting some sort of apple device to the comp, however i so seldom connect my iphone that i think i can start it manually. However, i have failed to locate what it is that launches it. I have checked startup entries and services using CodeStuff Starter and i even searched the registry for the phrase. Everything else apple-related is disabled. How do i stop it from adding seconds to my boot time?

AGRSMMSG.exe
Has something to do with modems, probably communicating with one, however my comp is connected to a switch, con. to a router, then theres the modem, so i dont see how it is required. can i disable it?

Also, what is the difference between a service set to Disabled and one set to Manual?

Lastly, when i boot my comp it takes about 10-20 seconds for it to get from the stage where you have the white little DOS cursor blinking on the screen to asking me if i want to boot xp normally or reset to default configuration (it does this because i used msconfig, id like it if i could bypass this step to). I hear the cd/dvd drive spin, and it takes long if theres a cd in it, so im guessing that it checks the cd first for boot info and then checks the hdd. I would prefer if it didnt, since if i want to boot from a cd ill just tap f2 at the appropriate screen.

Thank you in advance!
---My computer---
Manufacturer:HP Pavilion 061 CPU:Intel Pentium 4 640, 3200 MHz (16 x 200) RAM: 1024MB Motherboard:Asus PTGD1-LA Chipset:Intel Grantsdale i915P HDD:Main256GB Ext512GB Video:Radeon X600 Series Internet:DSL 2mb/s OS:Windows XP Home Edition SP3 Firefox+IExplorer AVG Internet Security

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,738 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:42 PM

Posted 20 September 2010 - 05:33 PM

1. This little program will show you everything starting up and running on your computer:
Download Autoruns for Windows: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinte...s/bb963902.aspx
No installation required.
Simply unzip Autoruns.zip file, and double click on autoruns.exe file to run the program.

With the above program, you can also disable/enable particular items.

2. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_service
* Automatic starts the services at system logon,
* Manual starts a service as required or when called from an application (according to definition, but only some of the time in practice, depending on the service),
* Disabled completely disables the service and prevents it and its dependencies from running.
* Automatic (Delayed) is a new startup type introduced in Windows Vista, that starts the service a short while after the system has finished booting and initial busy operations, so that the system boots up faster.

My Website

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click DONATE

#3 Surma

Surma
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 140 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2010 - 02:22 AM

1. Will try it.

2. Thx for the info.

Still wondering about agrsmmsg and the boot thing though.
---My computer---
Manufacturer:HP Pavilion 061 CPU:Intel Pentium 4 640, 3200 MHz (16 x 200) RAM: 1024MB Motherboard:Asus PTGD1-LA Chipset:Intel Grantsdale i915P HDD:Main256GB Ext512GB Video:Radeon X600 Series Internet:DSL 2mb/s OS:Windows XP Home Edition SP3 Firefox+IExplorer AVG Internet Security

#4 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:42 AM

Posted 21 September 2010 - 02:45 AM

Still wondering about agrsmmsg and the boot thing though.

http://www.processlibrary.com/directory/files/agrsmmsg/ - agrsmmsg.exe is a process installed alongside SoftModem Assistant and provides additional configuration options for these devices. "This program is a non-essential process, but should not be terminated unless suspected to be causing problems.\r"

#5 Surma

Surma
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 140 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2010 - 05:05 AM

Okay then, just gona try and disable it. If something stops working ill just re-enable it.

Can anyone shed some light on the whole disc spinning during bootup and how to get rid of the annoying screen asking if i want to restore changes done with msconfig?
---My computer---

#6 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:42 AM

Posted 21 September 2010 - 01:42 PM

Okay then, just gona try and disable it. If something stops working ill just re-enable it.

Can anyone shed some light on the whole disc spinning during bootup and how to get rid of the annoying screen asking if i want to restore changes done with msconfig?

Did you check the box that says don't notify me of this again?

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,299 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:42 AM

Posted 21 September 2010 - 02:34 PM

Msconfig should not be used to control startups...that's why Broni had you install Autoruns, it's a better tool.

I suggest putting msconfig back to it's normal settings and using Autoruns to manage your startups.

On Autoruns...the standard "startup" items are on the Logon tab.

Louis

A service with a setting of "Disabled" won't run.

A service with a setting of manual runs when called upon by the appropriate program/service.

Edited by hamluis, 21 September 2010 - 02:37 PM.

#8 Surma

Surma
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 140 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2010 - 02:42 AM

@cryptodan
Not the first time, however the second time i did.

@hamluis
I know, thats why i have been using codestuff starter. Is there a way besides resetting msconfig and repeationg the process of disabling everything? Like deleting a file or something?
---My computer---

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,299 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:42 AM

Posted 22 September 2010 - 07:46 AM

Not sure what "resetting msconfig" means. If you have changed any of the default settings in msconfig...you need to undo that.

Louis

#10 Surma

Surma
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 140 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2010 - 02:51 AM

I meant resetting the changes done with msconfig. Sorry for being unclear.
---My computer---

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users