Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Service Pack Issue

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 danjpete

danjpete

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:36 PM

Posted 20 September 2010 - 11:26 AM

I'm a technician at a small college. A student brought her laptop up with a broken dvd drive in it. The computer will not start up because of a failed Vista service pack install. I kno this is fixable by performing a windows system restore, however, the dvd drive in the laptop won't work, and I can't get it to boot to a Vista disc through an external USB dvd drive. Is it possible to run a system restore from an external hard drive? Or is there another option I can try?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,464 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:36 PM

Posted 20 September 2010 - 01:30 PM

In order to boot from a USB device the BIOS of that laptop has to have that option, and you need to change the boot order so that the USB drive is the first device in the boot order. Some BIOS don't offer this option, you will have to check it and see. You can boot from an external hdd or flash drive using this method, but as I understand it you can't boot from and external optical drive.

Does this computer boot at all?

Can you get to the advanced boot options? Press and hold F8 while it is booting.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 danjpete

danjpete
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:36 PM

Posted 09 November 2010 - 12:39 PM

Sorry for the late reply, but I've been away. After spending a good deal of time on the issue, we found that the motherboard was beginning to fail.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users