Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Router Help

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 krbailey

krbailey

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:34 AM

Posted 11 November 2005 - 03:21 PM

I have window XP home on my main computer I also have window XP pro on another computer and window XP pro on a laptop I use wireless internet using cable DLS I have Port Magic (AOL) for the router Plus I hooked up networking thru XP and the XP gateway always says it on even when I can't get Web pages of anywhere. THe Port Magic thing always say the connection is established then it pops up saying it not connected but XP network gateway is always on. If it let you connect to msn or yahoo it boots you off all the time. Sometime you can get to a web page then click on a link and it gives you web page cannot be displayed hit the refresh button a few time and it comes up Do I have something set up incorrect with the internet and the router to where it keep turning itself off . Sometimes I have to unplug the modem and turn it back on to work Sometime I have no internet but the other computer and the laptop does I am very aggravated with this . Should I turn off the port magic router Status . Any help would be nice Thank You

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:34 AM

Posted 11 November 2005 - 04:09 PM

I would turn off the Port Magic for a while to see if the problem goes away. Does your DSL modem have a hardware router built-in?
I would recommend using a harware router instead of routing thru the XP Home main computer.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 krbailey

krbailey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2005 - 01:51 PM

I have no idea if the modem has a router pluged into it I have a Motorola SB400 Surfboard If I turn off the port magic it just comes back up I can try to unistall it and see if it helps I know it loses the router alot So How can I check if the modem has a router in it? Call the cable Company? I'm kind of new at this networking Thanks alot

#4 dannyboy 950

dannyboy 950

• Members
  • 148 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2005 - 04:16 PM

Did you mean a 4200 http://broadband.motorola.com/consumers/products/sb4200/
is your modem I believe. Specifications are available from that page.

The cable/dsl modems are useually supplied by the ISP [example] road runner for me. {Time Warner}

So if ya think its connection issues check with the ISP. I also suspect the port magic is interfeering. Possibly a misconfigureation problem.

#5 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:34 AM

Posted 12 November 2005 - 08:06 PM

I have Cox Cable. You have a stand alone modem. I would run down and buy a hardware router. I have simple needs and use the Linksys Network Everywhere NR041-wm Router. You can pick it up at Walmart for $40+-. If you want wireless or wired there are plenty of choices out there.
I don't like any thing AOL. IMHO they have some of the worst junkware on the market.
I have had a Cable modem since '97. All you need at the house is a modem, which you have a very good one. A router, which if you stick with a name brand should do fine. Each computer should run a software firewall. Zone alarm is good but I prefer SyGate.
Keep all your antivirus and anti spyware up to date and installed and your LAN should be safe.

Antivirus
AVG Free Edition Antivirus(I personally use)
Avast Home Edition Antivirus Freeware

Antispyware
Microsoft AntiSpyware Beta
Spybot
AdAware SE Personal Edition
Ewido Security Suite - 14 day trial
A Squared Free

Utility
cCleaner
Everest home(hardware information and diagnostics)

Firewalls
Sygate 5.4(I personally use)
Zone Alarm

Best of all... they are free.

Edited by acklan, 12 November 2005 - 08:08 PM.

"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#6 saphil

saphil

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2005 - 11:00 AM

I run a SoHo network with a "home-use" 4-port router. Port Magic seems to crash the internet for the other 7 nodes on a system if you allow AOL to use it to configure access for one of them. I just delete it off the users' boxes. I suspect it closes the standard mail and http ports when the nuisance node is not using them. Probably a great help for people running only one PC/

saphil

Edited by saphil, 03 December 2005 - 11:01 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users