Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I cant connect with Microsoft.

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 ogasdd

ogasdd

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:16 AM

Posted 20 September 2010 - 12:10 AM

I tried to get updates but it wont let me.

I've been having this problem before I had trouble with internet connection which I finally fixed today. (Thanks to help here)

Is there certain reason why I can connect to the site?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Orecomm

Orecomm

• Members
  • 261 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:16 PM

Posted 21 September 2010 - 01:45 PM

There are many ways and places that malware can block access to specific network locations, and you've probably found one of them. Did you have a known infection ? If so, see if the person who helped you out with that can assist, as they probably know where that particular malware likes to make changes. If that's not a possibility the most common locations are an entry in the hosts file, a bogus DNS server address, a bogus Proxy server, or entries in the security zone settings.

The Microsoft instructions for resetting your Hosts file to defaults (from KB972034) are:

To reset the hosts file back to the default, follow these steps:
Click Start, click Run, type %systemroot% \system32\drivers\etc, and then click OK.

Note If you are using 64 bit version of Windows, type %systemroot% \SysWOW64\drivers\etc.
Rename the hosts file to hosts.bak.
Create the new default hosts file. To do this, follow these steps:
Right-click an open space in the %WinDir%\system32\drivers\etc folder, point to New, click Text Document, type hosts, and then press ENTER.
Click Yes to confirm that the file name extension will not be txt.
Open the new created hosts file in a text editor, for example, in the Notepad.
Copy the following text to the file:

For Windows XP or Windows Server 2003
# Copyright © 1993-1999 Microsoft Corp.
#
# This is a sample HOSTS file used by Microsoft TCP/IP for Windows.
#
# This file contains the mappings of IP addresses to host names. Each
# entry should be kept on an individual line. The IP address should
# be placed in the first column followed by the corresponding host name.
# The IP address and the host name should be separated by at least one
# space.
#
# Additionally, comments (such as these) may be inserted on individual
# lines or following the machine name denoted by a '#' symbol.
#
# For example:
#
# 102.54.94.97 rhino.acme.com # source server
# 38.25.63.10 x.acme.com # x client host

127.0.0.1 localhost
For Windows Vista or Windows Server 2008
# Copyright © 1993-2006 Microsoft Corp.
#
#
# space.
#
#
# For example:
#

127.0.0.1 localhost
::1 localhost
For Windows 7
# Copyright © 1993-2006 Microsoft Corp.
#
#
# space.
#
#
# For example:
#

# localhost name resolution is handle within DNS itself.
# 127.0.0.1 localhost
# ::1 localhost
Save and close the file.

Bogus DNS and Proxy settings are usually enabled through Control Panel->Internet Properties->Connections->LAN Settings where "Automatically Detect Settings" should be checked for most people, and "Use Automatic Connection Script" and "Use a Proxy server" should be unchecked, again for most people. Be aware that there are circumstances where changing these settings to the ones I advocate will BREAK your network connections. If the machine is used in a corporate or education environment or anywhere else there is an IT department controlling things SEE THEM FIRST. They are your best source of help in this area.

You can also check Control Panel->Network Connections->Local Area Connection(n)->Properties(at status screen)->Internet Protocol(TCP/IP)(at properties screen)->Properties which should get you to the Internet Protocol properties screen. Normally under the General tab you will have "Obtain an IP address automatically" and "Obtain DNS server address automatically" selected, but once again your situation may vary. Unless you use OpenDNS or a similar service, however, in the vast majority of cases either both or neither will be selected.

Finally, to check the Security Zone settings, go to Control Panel->Internet Properties->Security and click on the Restricted Sites icon. That will activate the Sites button which will show you the list of sites "that might damage your computer or your files". Depending on what anti-virus/anti-malware you have installed this can be a long list. You will have to go through it manually to see if any microsoft locations have been added. If so, you can bet other aspects have been altered as well (like the malware home is probably now listed as a "trusted" site) and the security settings altered. You can reset the security levels to default by clicking on the "reset all zones to default level" button, but I don't know of any way to bulk clear or change the Sites lists - you will just have to manually scan and delete any inappropriate entries you find in each zone unless someone else here can give us both a clue on an easier way.

Good luck and good hunting, and let us know what you find or if you still have problems.

#3 ogasdd

ogasdd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:16 AM

Posted 29 December 2010 - 06:24 PM

I cannot seem to create the new default hosts file....

Mmm, I am not sure..

I have window XP

I had large number of virus infection so I restarted the whole computer but that was before I got a new computer.
Which is like.. 2 or 3 years ago.

Than again my "New" (but actually couple year old) computer has the same problem.

Edited by ogasdd, 30 December 2010 - 12:33 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users