Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Missing Gigabytes

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 ronron

ronron

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:14 PM

Posted 11 November 2005 - 02:54 PM

Hi

My C Drive is apparently running low on disk space (about 300mb left), but i checked all the files and folders in my C drive, and it only amounts up to 13gigs. I have a 29 gig C drive, so where has the other 16 gigs gone?

Is there a way for me to find this missing diskspace, or check where it is so that i may delete some of it?

Thanks!

edit: i am using XP

Edited by ronron, 11 November 2005 - 02:54 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 gunner

gunner

• Members
  • 337 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:14 PM

Posted 11 November 2005 - 04:11 PM

Hello and welcome.The system restore points can consume as much as 12%. Add to that the vendor counts in 1000mb, and the os counts in 1024mb to equal 1gb. Then add the recycle bin if not empty. If it is, a lot of data is still on the disk even though you deleted it. If you do a lot of picture editing, it will eat you up. Go to accessories>system tools>disk cleanup and run it. You will probably recover a lot.
Spike's advice: Backup your data routinely.

#3 franktiii

franktiii

• Members
  • 309 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2005 - 06:27 PM

Also the virtual memory will take up hard drive space and doesn't show up when you look at the c drive. 29 gig is not a lot, and you can find 100 gigabyte drives on sale. Lots of places will even install drive and move things over to the new drive for not a lot of money.

#4 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:14 AM

Posted 11 November 2005 - 08:24 PM

You could also try CCleaner to recover some space - several members have had excellent results using it.
Download it from here CCleaner
Do NOT use the 'Applications' or 'Issues' tabs, they are for expert users only.

Make sure your anti-virus and anti-spyware programs are updated and used regularly.

hth :thumbsup:

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#5 turnip

turnip

• Members
  • 82 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2005 - 01:27 AM

yup, CCleaner is a cool utility, you shud be able to free up space with that, dont forget to run chkdsk and also defragment after that to prevent the drive from getting cluttered and slowing down the system. Also if ur paging file is fragmented, defrag using some third party utility that has those features. Here's a link on cleaning up
http://pcworld.about.com/magazine/2007p162id97442.htm
Also if all this fails, i've heard this is a good utility to check whts using ur HD space.
http://www.win.tue.nl/sequoiaview/
Good Luck.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users