Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Inbox.dbx virus?

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Sleeping Awake

Sleeping Awake

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:34 AM

Posted 19 September 2010 - 11:04 PM

Hi all! Thank you ahead of time for your help and thanks for an AWESOME site!

My comp is old and sad and tired and I tweak, hammer and yell it into working so it's only been the last 2 months that it really has been bad. I noticed that if I pulled up IE and the CPU usage would go to 100%, it'd all lock up, etc. Firefox wasn't much better but it's better. It seemed that every page or link or any ANYthing I clicked, there would be a 15-45 second "hang". Things fill in a bit at a time. Pages would fill in a bit at a time. Maybe it's my old video card. I have read everything and done everything, 20 times, that ever dealt with this problem. I've uninstalled and reinstalled everything. It might be time for a new comp but I want my XP, dammit :thumbsup:

I have AVG and scan daily, I run Hijack This, Spybot and MalWareByte's program every other day. It's always shown nothing. Today I ran a free remote scan from ESET and they said there are "multiple infections" in my Local Application Data\Identities\ lotsofnumbersandwhatnot\Microsoft\Outlook Express\inbox.dbx. and they can't fix it.

I have not used, opened or even thought about Outlook Express for about 6 years. I think I opened all of 46 letters in it and because of all the problems with viruses, I stopped using it after I just looked to see how it acted when mail treated in it. There were about 30 emails sitting in the 'read' window. A few had been opened from ages ago. A lot had the subject "Hello" and I know that wasn't like that when I stopped using it. The last mail was from 2005.

So I don't know if this is what's screwing the comp up or not, but I have no idea how to deal with this. Is it a false positive? Can I just delete Outlook? If I get a new comp and transfer my stuff over, will this go, too? How can I take care of this?

Thank you so much!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users