Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Want to start the pc without pressing F4

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 abcd_1

abcd_1

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:22 PM

Posted 19 September 2010 - 10:14 PM

details : I use windows xp sp2.

My mother board is intel 865 gsa.

Originally it had a 512 mb ram . i recently added a 1 gb ram . (i had no problems)

change : Recently the battery on the motherboard needed a replacement.

Problem : After replacing the battery , during start up , i am being prompted with a message like approximately resembling this :

"Dual channel operation requires identical paired DIMMs installed across both memory channels.
BIOS has detected a non optimal memory configuration. changing the existing DIMM configuration can improve the system's memory bus bandwidth.
Press <F4> to resume. "

When i press F4 , my computer starts up well.

Requirement: I dont want this prompt to be coming up time and again, i.e i need the machine to start up and my desktop to be shown automatically without any need to press F4.
what are the settings i need to change so that i dont get this prompt

Hope the question is clear.
If not feel free to write back.

thank you very much

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,872 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:52 AM

Posted 20 September 2010 - 06:07 AM

How many RAM slots on that board? I would move the new RAM to the next slot and see what happens.

Louis

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,600 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:52 AM

Posted 20 September 2010 - 10:11 AM

The D865gsa only has two slots. The technical manual show that this motherboard can be run in single channel mode with two mismatched modules. It shows the smaller module being populated closest to the IDE and power plug, and the larger in the next slot.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=...CPGfotZc5qZYlGw

Edited to add link to tech. manual.

Edited by dc3, 20 September 2010 - 10:13 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 abcd_1

abcd_1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2010 - 06:17 AM

Yes.

It has 2 slots.

I tried to interchange , but still the same result.

please help me with any script which can be written and saved so that I need not press F4 to start my pc

Thanks.

#5 Gabrial

Gabrial

• Members
  • 468 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:52 AM

Posted 02 October 2010 - 11:27 AM

This is a BIOS message. You will need to enter your BIOS setup and configure it to supress this error, probably by setting it to use single channel operation. Check you motherboard manual for references.

#6 abcd_1

abcd_1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2010 - 10:04 PM

Thank you very much for the info and the help.

However can you please help me in understanding , what is single channel operation ?

Does it mean only one of my ram sticks is going to be useful ?

That sure is not a great feeling..

Request you to clarify this.

I was also try to check out the motherboard refernce manual

thanks everyone ..for all the help..

#7 KeithKatz

KeithKatz

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:52 AM

Posted 04 October 2010 - 10:47 PM

Dual Channel gives the CPU the ability to access both ram cards simultaneously through two separate 64 bit pathways, essentially allowing the CPU 128 bit pathway to ram. This doubling of access to ram is intended to reduce the bottleneck caused by memory controllers so that the CPU can access a larger bank of ram at once.

Think of it this way...if you have a 4-lane highway, only 4 cars can cross any point on the road at the same time, whereas if you widen the highway to 8 lanes, now 8 cards can pass that same point at one time. It doesn't reduce the total amount of ram the CPU has available to it when operating in single channel mode, but it does reduce the amount of ram it can access in any one clock cycle, so it will reduce the performance (or better said, dual channel mode will increase throughput and therefore should increase performance.)

#8 abcd_1

abcd_1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2010 - 12:04 PM

Thank you very much , KeithKatz, for the explanation.

It is very clear.

Once again , i feel very good to be a part of this wonderful website..

Thank you all, and God bless you as well :thumbsup:

#9 strolln

strolln

• Members
  • 400 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:52 AM

Posted 05 October 2010 - 12:33 PM

If I followed your description correctly, when you first added the new RAM you didn't get that prompt but when you changed the battery you did?

Have you tried entering the BIOS setup, then doing a Save & Exit? Perhaps the configuration just needs to be saved.

I see this blurb in the manual:

􀀒 NOTE
To be fully compliant with all applicable DDR SDRAM memory specifications, the board
should be populated with DIMMs that support the Serial Presence Detect (SPD) data
structure. This enables the BIOS to read the SPD data and program the chipset to
accurately configure memory settings for optimum performance. If non-SPD memory
is installed, the BIOS will attempt to correctly configure the memory settings, but
performance and reliability may be impacted or the DIMMs may not function under the
determined frequency.

I wonder if the new RAM doesn't support SPD?
To Err is human; to really foul things up requires a Bleeping Computer!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users