Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Data Recovery From Failed Hd

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 PapaSmurf88

PapaSmurf88

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:36 PM

Posted 11 November 2005 - 01:54 PM

Hey guys I run a local computer repair shop in my area and today I got a Seagate Barracuda 160 GB 7200 RPM, that is completely dead. The guy I got it from is a teacher at one of the local schools and needs to save alot of data off it.

He sent it in to a company called Disk Doctors Lab and they quoted him at $2,250 to save the data. He brought me the report that they sent him when he decided not to go this way, and there are a lot of physical things wrong with this drive.

1. Unstable Head Disk Assembly
2. Firmware Corruption
3. Severe Logical Corruption

What do you guys even think is this something that can be accomplished in a small shop. I've already stuck it in another computer but neither Linux, Windows, Or Knoppix 3.4 is picking it up, Knoppix wont even pick up my primary HD but I think thats because its a SATA drive and I don't think 3.4 supports SATA.

If anyone can suggest anything that might help please feel free as of right now I think I'm gonna have to give him a call and let him know that I can't do it personally and that he is gonna have to send it off to someone to save the data off it.

Thanks much
Papa Smurf
My Specs:

Albatron PX915P4C Pro
Intel P4 3.0 Ghz Processor w/ HT technology
2x 512MB PC3200 Memory
120 GB Western Digital IDE HD
SAPPHIRE X550 256Mb Video Card

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:36 AM

Posted 11 November 2005 - 07:57 PM

I think the only chance you have is replacing the logic board on the drive, with an identical one. That just might take care of the firmware and logic problems. Anything beyond that needs a cleanroom environment - if there is physical damage to the heads, or worse the disk platters, then the only solution is to open the enclosure. If you do that in a normal environment the disks will be contaminated and when you spin them up they will headcrash and you will have (just about) lost everything.

If the platters are not damaged, it really is not that big a deal to insert them in another drive and extract the data so I think the quote is a bit rich, but then I don't know all the circumstances. Are there any other companies you could get to quote?

hth :thumbsup:

Edited by Rimmer, 11 November 2005 - 07:58 PM.

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users