Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Control Alt Delete Combo Does Nothing

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 BanditFlyer

BanditFlyer

• Members
  • 283 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:54 AM

Posted 11 November 2005 - 01:49 PM

This is a strange problem. I could swear I've seen similar problems on this forum, but I did a search and didn't come up with anything.

3Ghz Pentium 4 512 MB of RAM running XP Pro. Last night a user on this PC installed MS updates, by logging off via the "install updates and shut down" option. When she came in this morning, the PC didn't respond to control + alt + delete. She asked me for help in logging on. I clicked on the help link in the control alt delet prompt, and the password prompt came up!?

The update button(at the bottom right corner of the screen - not sure what this is called) on her login still had the exclamation point on it, so I clicked on it to install the updates again. It installed and prompted for a restart. So I clicked on the restart now option. Nothing happened. I went to Start->shutdown, and nothing happened. I hit control alt delete, and nothing happened.

My userid on the same computer has no problems. When I hit control alt delete, I get the standard prompt.

I Appreciate any info.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 BanditFlyer

BanditFlyer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 283 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2005 - 03:26 PM

In case anybody's interested:

I did a system restore. This put some of the files and programs in some folders that I didn't want to look for so I decided to undo the restore, and restore from a more recent date.

After the undo of the restore, the computer worked fine, so I didn't bother restoring from a more recent date. My guess as to what caused the problem is a buggy shutdown/msupdate combo.

I ran updates from the MS website this time and they worked fine. Rebooted the CPU twice just to be sure. It works fine.

Edited by BanditFlyer, 11 November 2005 - 03:27 PM.

#3 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:54 AM

Posted 11 November 2005 - 08:00 PM

Wierd. Glad you fixed it. :thumbsup:

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#4 BanditFlyer

BanditFlyer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 283 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2005 - 08:15 PM

Rimmer,

Did you get your name/avatar from a TV show called Red Dwarf?

Just curious

#5 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:54 AM

Posted 11 November 2005 - 08:37 PM

Arnold Rimmer, Technician (ClassIII) at your service.

*smeghead*

Who said that?

:thumbsup:

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#6 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:54 AM

Posted 11 November 2005 - 08:47 PM

:thumbsup:
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#7 BanditFlyer

BanditFlyer