Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Sluggish Issues / Copy of Windows is not Genuine

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Raserisk

Raserisk

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:49 AM

Posted 19 September 2010 - 05:52 PM

Having two major issues with my computer at the moment, it's not a year old yet so still under warranty until september 22nd. My first issue that began appearing a few weeks ago is when I start my computer up and go to desktop, its REALLY slow and sluggish, and i have to restart it for it to be fast again and actually normal, and two is, i started my computer up today and got this "your copy of windows is not genuine" pop up, even though I got it from the windows free upgrade last year around December. I clicked okay, and just went on with my day, I googled it and I wasn't getting any other pop up's or restrictions that it said it was suppose to do. Any help would be appreciated, thank you!

Specs

GTX 260 SLI Config
Windows 7 Home Premium
6GB Ram
I7 920 Quad core
ASUS Motherboard: P6T DELUXE V2

Sidenote: I tried to launch Combofix, to see if I have any malware, rootkits, and it said it wasn't able to be used on my OS?!?! I usually use Malware bytes, CCleaner and Norton Antivirus to clean my computer up.

Edited by Raserisk, 19 September 2010 - 05:52 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Jacee

Jacee

Bleeping around

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,716 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:49 AM

Posted 19 September 2010 - 05:56 PM

Combofix will not work on your 64bit OS.

What was the last thing you downloaded off the Internet?

MS_MVP.gif
MS MVP Windows-Security 2006-2016
Member of UNITE, the Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

Admin PC Pitstop

#3 Raserisk

Raserisk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2010 - 06:41 PM

MGADiag.exe and Combofix. Just programs to help me solve this issue which both seemed to of failed.

#4 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:49 PM

Posted 20 September 2010 - 04:40 PM

What kind of Power Supply do you have?

#5 Raserisk

Raserisk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2010 - 01:56 PM

It's a 1000 PSU. I looked on my specs sheet for a proper model name or whatever but couldn't find any info.

#6 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2010 - 02:36 PM

Look on the power supply itself there should be a piece of paper stuck to it. You will have to open the case though.

#7 Raserisk

Raserisk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2010 - 04:51 PM

I can't crack it at the moment, my computer is an Alienware model so don't worry it's good. I just got off the phone with tech support, and apparently my warranty expired and its not even a year old yet. They said it starts on the first shipping day. BS.

#8 oneup

oneup

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:49 AM

Posted 28 September 2010 - 12:09 PM

I believe there is a service that checks for the genuine software: Windows Activation Technologies. Try starting that service, and see if that turns the warning off.
Posted Image

#9 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2010 - 12:43 PM

I can't crack it at the moment, my computer is an Alienware model so don't worry it's good. I just got off the phone with tech support, and apparently my warranty expired and its not even a year old yet. They said it starts on the first shipping day. BS.

Can you still provide the information. Your power supply could be inadequate for your set up. Or it could be dust filled.

#10 Raserisk

Raserisk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2010 - 06:46 PM

I believe there is a service that checks for the genuine software: Windows Activation Technologies. Try starting that service, and see if that turns the warning off.

The pop up only came up once and since then has ceased. I will definitely get this if it happens again.

@Oneup - It's a 1000 PSU, and we dusted the whole tower out last weekend.

Overall, it seems as if my computer is now booting up more quickly. A funny thought that a friend posed to me is that because I am plugged directly into my cable modem, it could be affecting the start up performance of my machine and at that time the internet had been REALLY slow. Weird huh?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users