Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help: MS-DOS Games in Windows 7

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Stargazer25

Stargazer25

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:03 PM

Posted 19 September 2010 - 03:31 PM

I downloaded a zip file containing a very old game. I found out it won't install or run on my Windows 7 operating system. Is there any way to get it to run or function on Windows 7? I tried using DOS-Box Emulator but it is extremely confusing and I don't understand how to make it run my program. If I repurchased a Windows XP would an MS-DOS program have an easier time running? I recently lost a Computer-Graphic picture from that game and it no longer exists on the web, so I am willing to do whatever it takes to get one of my first favorite pieces of art back.

I would be willing to buy a Windows 98 to be able to run old games, but the only question I have is would the picture and screenshots of the games have dots and lower image quality? I'm not sure if they would have complete clarity or if there would be dots and lines over parts of the image making low quality images.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:03 PM

Posted 19 September 2010 - 05:40 PM

If your version of Windows 7 is 64 bit, then the only way to run an old DOS game (which is very likely 16 bit) is to use an emulator like DOSbox or an operating system contemporary to the game either in a virtual machine or as a second operating system (installing an older Windows OS next to a newer one that's already installed is very tricky, so the virtual machine would be much easier.)

As to how the game would look, I would venture to say that your best bet would be to use DOSbox. Running an older OS in a virtual machine or as a second operating system might be ugly looking since it's unlikely that video drivers exist for your hardware that are compatible with a very old version of Windows like Windows 98.

DOSbox isn't really all that hard to use once you get used to it.

#3 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,769 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:03 PM

Posted 19 September 2010 - 06:29 PM

See here for tutorial: http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/12771/play-...-and-windows-7/

My Website

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click DONATE

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users