Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

program and software download

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 john 1040

john 1040

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:51 AM

Posted 19 September 2010 - 02:46 PM

The kids are always downloading some new software and/ or program when they get online. I always have new music software, movie maker programs, new task bars, etc. etc. I need to know how I can prevent new software and programs from being downloaded with a password. :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 19 September 2010 - 03:23 PM

Do your kids have their own user accounts set up on the computer?

If no, go to Control Panel/User Accounts and set one up.

Give it LIMITED user status.

If yes, go to User Accounts/Change an account.

Choose the account to change, and give it limited status.

Whichever one you do, remember it will do no good to change the status IF they can go to YOUR desktop to download and install programs if your account is set up as an administrative account. To deter the kids, set YOUR account to use a password. Make it something that YOU will remember but they will not guess.

For more information, see this article on User Account Types by Microsoft

If your kids are savvy and know how to get to safe mode, they could use the safe mode admin account to make changes to their accounts, so you might want to require a password for that also.

There may be other ways you can accomplish your goal-so check back to see if anyone else can offer different solutions.

Since you don't want these programs, uninstall them if you haven't already. And run your anti-virus scanners and malware scanners to make sure your system is clean. Kids don't always think about what damage can be done when they surf and install programs.

edit to add: cryptodan has provided what seems to be a much better alternative.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 19 September 2010 - 03:35 PM.

#3 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:51 PM

Posted 19 September 2010 - 03:29 PM

You can also try Windows Steady State which is the following:

Windows SteadyState FeaturesWindows SteadyState includes the following features to help you manage your shared computers:

* Getting Started – Provides the initial steps to help you during your first time use of Windows SteadyState.
* Windows Disk Protection – Help protect the Windows partition, which contains the Windows operating system and other programs, from being modified without administrator approval.Windows SteadyState allows you to set Windows Disk Protection to remove all changes upon restart, to remove changes at a certain date and time, or to not remove changes at all. If you choose to use Windows Disk Protection to remove changes, any changes made by shared users when they are logged on to the computer are removed when the computer is restarted
* User Restrictions and Settings – The user restrictions and settings can help to enhance and simplify the user experience. Restrict user access to programs, settings, Start menu items, and options in Windows. You can also lock shared user accounts to prevent changes from being retained from one session to the next.
* User Account Manager – Create and delete user accounts. You can use Windows SteadyState to create user accounts on alternative drives that will retain user data and settings even when Windows Disk Protection is turned on. You can also import and export user settings from one computer to another—saving valuable time and resources.
* Computer Restrictions – Control security settings, privacy settings, and more, such as preventing users from creating and storing folders in drive C and from opening Microsoft Office documents from Internet Explorer®.
* Schedule Software Updates – Update your shared computer with the latest software and security updates when it is convenient for you and your shared users.

From the above link

#4 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 19 September 2010 - 03:33 PM

cryptodan, thank you for that information. That certainly sounds like a better way to go about it. I'd use it if I had kids in the house.

It seems to have more ways to lock down a computer than using a Limited account.

#5 Layback Bear

Layback Bear

• Members
  • 1,880 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2010 - 02:10 PM

This web sit also might help you.
http://explore.live.com/windows-live-family-safety
It also gives you lots of options.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users