Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer will not boot

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
9 replies to this topic

#1 jonny_79144

jonny_79144

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:19 PM

Posted 19 September 2010 - 12:17 PM

My computer is a Windows XP Home Edition, Dell.

Yesterday, a mini anti-virus type program randomly appeared to tell me that I had an "unknown trojan". The program was called Microsoft Windows Security Essentials. I could not close this program and it appeared to be a legitimate Microsoft product. In fact it still does.... Nevertheless it failed to deal with the trojan and went on to recommend 4 or 5 out of 30 or so anti-virus companies that could help.

I ignored this advice and rebooted into safe mode and allowed Malware Bytes Anti-Malware to have a go. It revealed 84 problems. Shocking! I've never had more than a couple before. Anywho, trusty MB failed to deal with some of the problems and so I downloaded a trial of Kaspersky anti-virus.

The infection prevented this from installing. It also prevented a special other Kaspersky anti-virus tool from installing. An error message recommended that I install the tool manually. I did so and this had some success with the trojans. However, the scanner repeatedly failed to deal with the following:

C:\WINDOWS\explorer.exe > trojan.win32.patched.kl
C:\explored.exe/UPX > trojan.win32.jorik.lolbot.eh
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe > trojan.win32.patched.kl

A final 'quick scan' with Malware Bytes also revealed the following:

rootkit.agent.h > file > 75647611.sys
hijack.folderoptions > reg value > policies\explorernofolderoptions

I (regret that I) gave it one last shot with Trend Micro House Call. It found 3 viruses, asked to delete 2 on reboot and informed me that it had failed to deal with the other 1. Upon reboot, I have found my computer in a perpetual cycle of failure to start up. It goes like this;

1) First is the Dell screen with the F2 and F12 options
2) Second comes the XP loading screen
3) Finally, the screen goes blank/black. After a few seconds I hear a click and the computer restarts and goes back to step 1. This is a continuous cycle
4) P.S. 'safe mode' also goes into this perpetual reboot cycle

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• Malware Study Hall Admin
  • 61,643 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:19 PM

Posted 20 September 2010 - 06:03 AM

Hi, please let me know if you also get a BSOD and if you have an XP CD.

We Need to Diagnose Your BlueScreen
  1. When you boot your machine, press F8 to list the startup options, exactly as you would if you were trying to enter Safe Mode
  2. Select "Disable Automatic Restart on System Failure", as shown here:
  3. When your system BSODs, write down the STOP error code, as well as any written out error message back here. The STOP error will always appear, but the message may not. You are looking for this:
Please post me the error(s).

regards, Elise

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | lockerdome

Malware analyst @ Emsisoft

animinionsmalltext.gif

#3 jonny_79144

jonny_79144
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2010 - 12:00 PM

I am very sorry but I am desperately in need of my computer and therefore had no choice but to attempt to fix it myself. I am therefore in a different position to that which I was in my original post.

Let me explain. I booted from the WINDOWS XP HOME CD and used the repair mode. I am now able to boot my PC to the login screen. However, I cannot logon without activating WINDOWS. I cannot active over the internet because it says "unable to establish a connection with the activation server" and I cannot active over the phone because it says I have to "provide the customer service representative with the following installation ID: --------", it does not give an installation ID.

I will not do anything to the computer now unless advised by you.

#4 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• 61,643 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2010 - 12:25 PM

Isn't the installation ID your product key? That should be on a sticker on your computer or on your CD case.

regards, Elise

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

animinionsmalltext.gif

#5 jonny_79144

jonny_79144
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2010 - 03:34 PM

I entered the product key and it was accepted. I am now able to get to my login screen. However, I cannot log in without activating windows. I cannot activate over the internet because it will not establish a connection. I cannot activate windows by phone without the installation ID, which comes up blank such as the following; "--------"

I rang microsoft today and they said that I need to ask Dell to send me a brand new copy of Windows XP Home, which is no use to me. I can access the Windows Recovery console and I had written down the file names of some of the viruses if that is of any use.

#6 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• 61,643 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2010 - 03:40 PM

The problem is, since you did a repair, there is no way to recover your system without the activation. The virus is most likely gone, but simply put, if you don't activate windows, you won't be able to get in normal mode. You should be able to access safe mode though.

Would you not have done the repair installation we could have replaced explorer.exe and winlogon.exe which would have restored normal mode functionality.

regards, Elise

animinionsmalltext.gif

#7 jonny_79144

jonny_79144
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2010 - 04:05 PM

Yes you are right.

By the way I cannot log in with Safe Mode. It also says I have to activate first.

#8 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• 61,643 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2010 - 01:42 AM

The only thing you could try, is doing a complete reinstall with your DELL OEM CD's/recovery partition. That way you won't have to activate windows.

You might also be interested in this article

The only thing I can help you with, is getting important files off your computer so you can do a complete reinstall with an OEM disk/recovery partition.

regards, Elise

animinionsmalltext.gif

#9 jonny_79144

jonny_79144
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2010 - 09:02 AM

Thanks for your help. I gave up and installed a fresh copy of windows xp pro. It will teach me not to back up my stuff! You can close the topic. Thanks

#10 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• 61,643 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2010 - 09:12 AM

I'm glad to hear things are running fine now. smile.gif

This topic will now be closed. If you need it reopened, please send me a PM.

Everyone else, please start a new topic.

regards, Elise

animinionsmalltext.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users