Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problem with wireless configuration

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Ket

Ket

• Members
  • 145 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:43 PM

Posted 19 September 2010 - 11:47 AM

Hello. I just installed windows 7 ultimate x64 and updated all drivers for my HP compaq 6735s but now every time I start the computer I get a message which says:
Wireless Configuration
(and then next to a red X):
Notification dll has not been registered, program will not work correctly

I am not given any option(s) to repair it. I haven't faced any problems yet and I am not even sure what it means but it keeps popping-up every time I start the computer and it is pretty annoying. Has anybody got a clue of what this might be and how to fix it. I'd really appreciate that.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:43 AM

Posted 19 September 2010 - 11:57 AM

Did you install the drivers after installing Windows 7?

Go to the Device Manager, Start> right click on My Computer> Manage> Device Manager, and scroll down to Network Adapters. Click on the box with the + in it to expand the tree. Right click on the device below and then click on Properties. Does it say that this device is enable, or this device is working properly?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 Ket

Ket
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 145 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2010 - 01:06 PM

I have updated all drivers available. I suppose something didn't install properly. Anyway,

There are 4 devices under Network adapters:
Bluetooth Device (Personal Area Network)
Bluetooth Device (RFCOMM Protocol TDI)
Broadcom 802.11b/g WLAN
Marvell Yukon 88E8042 PCI-E Fast Ethernet Controller

The last one (marvell yukon) appeared to update but after restarting the computer I still get the same message. All of them say they are working properly.
However, below Network adapters (different tree) it says Other devices and expanded there is only one device named Unknown device and there is a yellow exclamation mark next to it. It's properties say:

The drivers for this device are not installed. (Code 28)
There is no driver selected for the device information set or element.
To find a driver for this device, click Update Driver.

When attempting to update it I get a message:
Windows could not find driver software for your device. If you know the manufacturer blablabla.....

I don't know what this device is, I've never seen this before in the device manager and nothing (apart my mouse which works) is connected externally to my laptop. What you reckon? Should I try and un-install it?

#4 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:10:43 AM

Posted 19 September 2010 - 02:01 PM

There is a way to find out what the device is.

Go to Device Manager, right click on the unknown device. It could be anything-this is where things with no drivers are listed. I once had a system with a Sound Blaster card in it. It would show as Unknown Device until I installed the drivers. Using the method below allowed me to find out what the device was. This was on an XP system, so I'm hoping it will work on Win7.

Choose Update Driver Software.

In the next pane, choose Browse my computer for driver software.

Another pane will open, choose Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer. Click Next.

When the next window opens, you *should* see what the device is.

At that point, you can close out the window without doing anything UNLESS you want to install the driver.

My recommendation would be to let us know what the device is before you do anything else.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 19 September 2010 - 02:07 PM.

#5 Ket

Ket
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 145 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2010 - 02:52 PM

There is a quite long list of devices but I haven't got a clue. How do I determine which type it is?
Although it is a wild guess, I would suspect it is a Smart Card Reader because although I have one it is not listed on the device manager. However on my programs list the drivers of the smart card reader are listed. You think I can try un-install and re-install them?

Edited by Ket, 19 September 2010 - 03:14 PM.

#6 Ket

Ket
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 145 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2010 - 04:07 PM

Hey. I just reinstalled all drivers related to wireless configuration (wireless assistant, bluetooth drivers etc) as well as the drivers for the smart card reader, restarted and everything seems to be normal. So, apparently something wasn't installed properly. The unknown device must be related to HP quick launch buttons that I don't really use. It is still shown as unknown device but I didn't get the pop-up at restart. So lets cross fingers...
Thanx a lot people for your help

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:43 AM

Posted 19 September 2010 - 04:36 PM

Glad to hear it! :thumbsup:

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users