Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Pls Help! My Computer Is Dead :(

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 LydiaEsther

LydiaEsther

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:40 PM

Posted 11 November 2005 - 11:44 AM

Hi... well, I have an e-machine computer with windows xp. Yesterday I was online when all of a sudden the mouse stopped working, I tried restarting the computer and it did turn on, but the keyboard stopped responding too (all this time I could hear some beeping sounds. So I restarted again, but I couldnt even log in 'cause they keyboard wouldn't respond and I couldnt put my password... I decided to let it be for the night... but this morning when I tried turning it on I could only hear some clicking sounds (like an old car trying to start), so i tried again but this time nothing happened.. no sound no light nothing.. Someone told me in could be the power supply.. I just want to make sure first. thank u.
I hope you can tell me what it is..
thanks a lot
have a nice day!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:40 PM

Posted 11 November 2005 - 03:43 PM

If you know how to use a voltmeter I would recommend checking the power supply. I agree, without personally checking it I would think it's the power supply.

This link had the color code and pin assignment.

WARNING!! The power supply has a high voltage transformer inside. Only test or work on this compontant if you know what you are doing.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 gunner

gunner

• Members
  • 337 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2005 - 04:46 PM

What are the odds? Have the same exact problem with an emachine, and it is the power supply. What else I am not sure, but will let you know. I bought an extended warranty for it, and that was smart for a change. Motherboard went first.
Spike's advice: Backup your data routinely.

#4 LydiaEsther

LydiaEsther
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2005 - 05:29 PM

Thank you, I dont know how to use it, but my brother does.. so i'll leave it to him... Thank you.. I"ll keep u posted...

#5 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2005 - 05:30 PM

Excellent. Hope to hear from you soon. Good luck. :thumbsup:

#6 LydiaEsther

LydiaEsther
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2005 - 05:31 PM

What are the odds? Have the same exact problem with an emachine, and it is the power supply. What else I am not sure, but will let you know. I bought an extended warranty for it, and that was smart for a change. Motherboard went first.

LOL well, I guess the odds are 2 in 2 so far... thank you.. I'll let you know what happend too.. I didnt get the warranty... Hope I dont lament it...
;)

#7 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2005 - 05:32 PM

New stock power supply is $40 +-

#8 LydiaEsther

LydiaEsther
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2005 - 01:28 AM

New stock power supply is $40 +-

Hi again.. My brother used the voltmeter on the power supply.. and sure enough.. no power at all.. so I guess i have to buy a new one.. bye pay check!!
thanks for ur help.. I think i might buy it until next monday.. I'll keep u posted on what happened.
Lydia

Edited by LydiaEsther, 12 November 2005 - 01:29 AM.

#9 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2005 - 01:49 AM

I would have him pull it out and measure the power supply case. HP, Emachine, Dell,... sometime use off size cases. You also want to get at least the same wattage if not larger. Check out ebay when you get the model number.
Keep in mind that emachine does not make power supplies. When looking for PS, note that the size and wattage is what you look for more than the Emachine name. It could also save you money by buying non-emachine part that work.
Good luck.

#10 LydiaEsther

LydiaEsther
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2005 - 12:59 PM

hello again.. I have a few cpu's lying around my house.. Do you think I could use one of them (if they are the same wattage & size) while I get my hands on a new one??
thank u

#11 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2005 - 01:09 PM

Sure as long as, lie you said, the wattage is right.
FYI: Dell uses a different PS than everyone else. A Dell PS will not work.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users