Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Internet settings for wireless connection

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 XRUIZ

XRUIZ

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:40 PM

Posted 18 September 2010 - 11:43 PM

My Dell laptop has excellent signal to my wireless router but I can't acess the Internet. The proxy server is unchecked, the detection is set up for automatic. I suspect it has to do with the firewalls so I ve I've set those up to factory default but still no acess. Are there settings that I should check. Maybe the http,https,FTP ports

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 thrillhouse

thrillhouse

• Members
  • 1,040 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2010 - 12:34 AM

can you go to start, run, and type ip config.

Then right click and choose mark and select everything with the mouse and ctrl c for copy and paste it here.

Also, go into the router and see if dhcp is turned on.

#3 XRUIZ

XRUIZ
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2010 - 01:25 AM

I get an error message "windows cannot find 'ip'. Make sure you typed the name correctly, and then try again. To search for a file, click the start button, and then click search

#4 thrillhouse

thrillhouse

• Members
  • 1,040 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2010 - 02:57 AM

can you get an ip through ethernet? If so, try going to start, run, devmgmt.msc and right click your wireless card and uninstall, then reboot with the ethernet plugged in and go back in device manager and right click and choose scan for new hardware and your wireless card should get the newest driver. Maybe that will help, keep us posted.

#5 XRUIZ

XRUIZ
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2010 - 10:33 AM

I don't see anything that says wireless card. Is that the same as network adapters?

#6 thrillhouse

thrillhouse

• Members
  • 1,040 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2010 - 10:47 AM

yea, my bad, it should be in there. Here's mine to compare (I know I don't have xp but it should be the same):

Posted Image

#7 XRUIZ

XRUIZ
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2010 - 06:22 AM

I tried that; I was able to scan and the computer installed the wireless however I can no longer connect to my network. I get a message saying it may not be in range.

#8 thrillhouse

thrillhouse

• Members
  • 1,040 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2010 - 02:56 PM

ok, if you go to control panel and network connections and double click the wireless connection and go to details what does it say? Here is what I am talking about:

Posted Image

look at ipv4 address, does it have a number like mine or is it 169.x.x.x?

Also, why don't you try a hard reset of your router with the small hole in the back and a paper clip. Make sure to back up wireless settings first.

#9 XRUIZ

XRUIZ
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2010 - 08:43 PM

Sorry but I don't see where are the details. I think u may be right in that I should reset the router. Will I have to rebuilt the SSID?

#10 thrillhouse

thrillhouse

• Members
  • 1,040 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2010 - 10:05 PM

You've got to either redo everything manually or sometimes on the panel that has firmware and reboot and password there is a setting to save everything to a file on your hard drive.

Then you reset and go back to that panel and hit load and load the file and all your settings will be back.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users