Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Microsoft's WorldWide Telescope.

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:46 AM

Posted 18 September 2010 - 11:00 PM

I recently have tried out a new trial program offered by Microsoft called WorldWide Telescope.

I do not know if anyone else out there is into science and astronomy like I am.

I am one of those people who have found space exploration one of the most fascinating hobbies I have grown fond of.

SETI@home and Einstein@home runs on a few of my computers during idle times, hey, who knows, maybe I'll be the lucky one who discovers life in a distant Galaxy somewhere. :thumbsup:

I use Sky Map Pro to chart the stars and read magazines related to space exploration.

I happened to be looking through Microsoft's latest trial software and found a program called WorldWide Telescope.

I figured what the heck, why not try it out.

I was impressed with its 3-D effects and its ability to be currently accurate with the status of the planets, their locations in our solar system and their current rotation positions to our Sun.

The planet Earth was in its correct rotation status to the Sun at the times I viewed it through the program.

There are panoramic views of Mars in the secondary program that installs called WWT : MARS. They were very clear pictures of the Mars surface.

With this program, you can fly around the solar system, zoom past planets and even right click stars to get their names and the constellation they are part of.

Ursa Major known as the big dipper, Ursa Minor known as the little dipper and its famous star Polaris (Our North star)

The Planets and the Sun actually look real and you can can rotate the screen to fly around the planets to view the dark side with the Sun glowing brightly in the back-ground.

Zoom in on any Planet or Star you choose. Get information on it at that present moment, the program updates its self through the web as you use it from real telescopes.

This program is simply amazing! You have to sample it to believe its abilities!

I would recommend this program to anyone who has kids, this will not only educate them, but they can have fun exploring our Planets and the Universe.

Here is the link.

http://www.worldwidetelescope.org/Home.aspx

Enjoy!

Bruce.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 19 September 2010 - 12:21 AM.

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Layback Bear

Layback Bear

• Members
  • 1,880 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:46 AM

Posted 19 September 2010 - 07:24 AM

What a great program, thank you Bruce. It's a big program. I checked after installing and I'm still 0 % defragged. The only thing I don't like about it is I want to print every thing on photo paper. I will have to keep slapping myself or get a bank loan to cover the cost.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users