Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Netgear 108 Mbps WG311T PCI adapter not recognized

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 lopecki

lopecki

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:12 AM

Posted 18 September 2010 - 10:44 PM

I recently reinstalled WinXP on a Dell Dimension 4600 for a co-worker of mine. My problem is that he has a Netgear WG311T PCI adapter that, for the life of me, I can't seem to get Windows to recognize it. Here's what I did:

1) Installed the applicable driver from Netgear's website. Couldn't download version 5.0 because it wouldn't recognize the serial number off the card.
2) Shut down the PC and installed the card. Then I booted up the computer and waited for the Smart Wizard to pop-up, which it never did. I was doing this per the instructions of the website and installation guide.
3) I uninstalled the driver/software then pulled the card back out to try the process again and of course that didn't make a difference.

All the driver's, with the exception of the usual ethernet controller yellow question mark in Device Manager, were reinstalled with no problem(chipset, network, audio, video, communications, etc.). Now before I reinstalled the driver's after the OS reinstall, I noticed I had two ethernet controller yellow question marks. I think it may have been the chipset driver that got rid of one of those question marks. Anyway, that one ethernet controller question mark still remains after using all the applicable drivers off the Dell Website.

Disabling the WZC service didn't make a difference. I have an empty expansion slot above the one that the adapter is currently in but not sure if that would make a difference. What are my options?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,246 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:12 AM

Posted 19 September 2010 - 06:59 AM

Well...appears to me that you are talking about two different things.

The ethernet adapter...is the wired capability, while the card you refer to seems to be wireless. Installing the Dell/Intel drivers should have resolved the ethernet connection, while installing the drivers for the Netgear card should make the system capable of wireless reception from a wireless router.

That would seem to say that there is something preventing any type of Internet connectivity. Nothing relates to both types of connectivity, other than the O/S and the motherboard, IMO.

I guess I don't understand why you disable the Wireless Zero Configuration service...if you are trying to employ/enable wireless connectivity via your card.

I'm probably missing something...it happens :thumbsup:.

Louis

#3 lopecki

lopecki
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:12 AM

Posted 20 September 2010 - 12:31 PM

Sorry, I should have been a little bit more specific. I do have connectivity with my ethernet connection. The network driver from the dell website resolved the first ethernet yellow question mark in device manager. My issue is that I'm trying get the netgear pci adapter card to be recognized which isn't after installing the netgear driver for it. This card is the one for wireless connectivity. I just want to know what it is that I haven't done yet to in order for this card to be recognized. Should I try and move it to the empty PCI slot above it?

Also, I disabled the WZC service because I read on some post somehwere that thats what someone did in order for the Smart wizard software to run. But that didn't work and I'm wondering how I get windows to run the software. Another post I read said removing the .tmp files from the netgear folder might work but nope on that one either.

Edited by lopecki, 20 September 2010 - 12:35 PM.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,246 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:12 AM

Posted 20 September 2010 - 03:29 PM

Thanks for the clarification :thumbsup:.

If you have the correct drivers for the O/S...and the card is not a dud...it should install/work. The card should be recognized by Windows once the drivers are installed and Device Manager should reflect it as functional (no yellow marking).

Any PCI card...should pretty much work in the manner I described.

I would try the other slot...it does happen that it makes a difference with some boards.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users