Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

CPU at 100%, themes and audio error, dll problem?

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 dfsawyer

dfsawyer

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:59 PM

Posted 18 September 2010 - 09:35 PM

Hi, I have been dealing with some problems for the past week that I can't figure out.

It started when I got a pop up at mega upload that decided to install some sort of anti-virus software with out my knowledge, which was, of course, some sort of nasty virus.

I ran Malware Bytes, Super AntiSpyware, and Spybot Search and Destroy, and they found about 150 errors total. I thought that was that, but ever since then, my cpu has randomly been running at 100% though none of the processes in task manager show any cpu usage, and show normal memory usage. And, randomly, the audio for the computer won't work anymore and the theme changes back to windows classic. So, I'll go into services and start them back up, but sure enough, it doesn't seem to mater if the computer is under heavy load or not, or even whether or not I'm logged on, the cpu goes crazy and switches them back again. After enough times of this, it won't work at all, and I have to reboot. Usually a little while or a long while after rebooting, I'll receive "Generic WinHost32 error". Though is was only once, I also received a "Run dll as an app" error. I've seen some registry fixes for these but I'm kind of leery of them because a lot of them don't seem to describe the problem that I am having.

So, after some searching, I tried a sfc / scannow and it asked me for my windows XP install disc quite a few times, unfortunately when I purchased the computer it was already installed, and the only discs Circuit City included with it were recovery and restore discs. So, I'm assuming there are more dll errors than just the audio and themes, but I have no idea what they would be, and even if I did, I haven't been able to find any information on how to replace them, though I'm sure it is out there. From a lot of the forums I've been looking at, it seems most advice is to reinstall windows or to do a system restore, but I don't have a disc to reinstall, as I've said, and system restore isn't working either.

Other random bits, sorry if its all over the place:
The computer has windows XP SP1. I turned off windows update as that was one of the first suggestions. HiJackThis hasn't shown anything, either. I've tried tried AusLogics registry scan and full scans with the previously mentioned anti spy ware programs again, but they haven't found any thing after the initial scan. I've also used process explorer and when task manager is showing 100% usage, its never any where near that. I've tried setting the priority of the svchost in question to low and even idle, but it doesn't make a difference. I also tried REGSVR32 shsvc.dll (the themes dll) it hasn't helped. It said it could not find the audio dll when I tried for that one. Also, I've tried to use the tasklist in cmd but it says that its not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file. And as a note, I'm posting this from a friends computer and can't post any scan logs, unfortunately. It's been acting up too much now for me to try and post anything from it.

Thanks for the help.

Edited by hamluis, 19 September 2010 - 06:15 AM.
Moved from XP forum to Am I Infected ~ Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users