Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

startup item

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 pdcagirl

pdcagirl

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:09 PM

Posted 18 September 2010 - 09:34 PM

Do not know what BCU is. Have run all my protection items but all came up clear yet this data base claims this item may be something that needs to be removed. Can advise?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,250 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:09 PM

Posted 19 September 2010 - 06:00 PM

It's near impossible to say what it is without more info.

However it may be the program known as "Browser Configuration Utility" from DeviceVM, which is known to be distributed with the chipset drivers for some Gigabyte motherboards. If it is, then it's not malicious but isn't at all needed (I would classify it as bloatware.) Look in the Add/Remove programs control for it. If it's there you can uninstall it without any ill affects.

But like I said, it's imposable to say for certain what it is without more info like the location of the file the startup refers to. The "Browser Configuration Utility" for example is usually located at: C:\Program Files\DeviceVM\Browser Configuration Utility\BCU.exe

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users