Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

2 Desktop PC's Two OE Programs

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Jove

Jove

• Members
  • 2,739 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:36 AM

Posted 18 September 2010 - 03:51 PM

What happens when I load another PC with my Outlook Express app. and I use both PC's at different times, and swith them over on the same Lan Line, using the same IPS, . . . ? ? ?

I guess I am going to have two boxes with different mail In and Out ?

What is the best way to do this ?

When you don't have to worry about your computer anymore, you can start
living again !

vrwqzc.gif
Success is a result, not a goal. . . . Flaubert

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Jove

Jove
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,739 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2010 - 02:41 PM

I've opted to use the ISP Web Mail to use while on the 2nd PC.

living again !

vrwqzc.gif

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,727 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:36 AM

Posted 20 September 2010 - 03:19 PM

Well...it depends on how you have it set up.

Example: I have two systems, home networked. At times, I've set up the same email account on each and used it on each computer, employing Outlook Express.

Because I have webmail...that's the first stop my email makes...it doesn't land on my system until I have filtered through the junk online via my webmail.

In OE, I can configure it to download everything to one system...or I can download everything to both systems. Nothing is gained by downloading the same email twice when the two systems are 20 feet apart and accessed only by me...so I download to one system and now I don't even bother setting up OE on my other system because I don't intend to use it for email purposes.

But...if something happens to my other system, I can easily set it up and employ it on the other system.

Louis

#4 Jove

Jove
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,739 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2010 - 02:19 AM

I imagine you have quite a job sorting your mail, and I am guessing you do that mainly to protect your system from maladies, although I would think regarding my own system that the mail scanning anti virus is reliable (?) anyway I depend on it for that purpose.

I don't know if I have the opportunity to stop my mail at the web level, other than setting my options so that the mail comes through in hours rather than minutes, but I don't think I could handle that since I like to get answers directly and mail from friends asap.

So, if the PC goes blank, and you need to re-install OE, then saving your mail frequently is the answer since I don't think OE will save those side lined files.

OK as stated in previous post, On the second PC, I opt to use the web email like yours as it stops there first.

Thanks Louis

living again !

vrwqzc.gif

#5 NpaMA

NpaMA

• Members
  • 635 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2010 - 02:23 AM

I just use IMAP on 2 Microsoft Outlook's. Granted its Microsoft "Office" Outlook, but surely OE has IMAP?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users