Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Scheduled Tasks -- Don't run

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Handmaiden

Handmaiden

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:38 AM

Posted 18 September 2010 - 02:27 PM

Hello

I am trying to schedule some tasks on my brother's computer. Everything used to run ok, but while recently updating, etc., I tried to schedule a new task, and noticed that all the other tasks were no longer running. So, I deleted everything, and started to set up a new schedule, including passwords, etc.

The new tasks won't run either. (Example: Spybot.) So, I clicked on "Help" tab at the top of Scheduled Tasks, & looked up "Troubleshooting Scheduled Tasks". I read the information on this page (Troubleshooting Sched Tasks), and then went back the the list of scheduled tasks, and right clicked on one of the tasks, then clicked on properties and checked out each tab to see what information they had on them.

Everything looked ok to me, so I didn't see why that the tasks shouldn't run. Out of curiosity, I clicked on the "Browse" button on the "Task" tab. It showed that the "Programs" was in the "Start Menu", so I opened the Programs folder to see what was in it. It looked pretty normal, but I noticed that it did not have a folder for the task I was trying to run. I looked in the Accessories and Startup folders within the Programs folder, but neither of these folders had the programs to run the tasks that I was trying to to schedule to run automatically. I even went to Start, run, msconfig, and the Startup tab, to see if this program was there, and it wasn't.

So, my question is this -- If a program is not in the Start up folder, how do I get it there, so that these various tasks run automatically?

System is XP, w/Win 8

Thank you for your time

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:38 AM

Posted 18 September 2010 - 02:31 PM

What is it that you are trying to accomplish with these scheduled tasks?

Most programs that offer scanning and what not have their own scheduling agent built in, however, if the program is free then that option maybe disabled.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users