Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Lost modem & printer

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Spectacle

Spectacle

• Members
  • 108 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:54 AM

Posted 18 September 2010 - 12:32 PM

Hi all,

I suspect I've about worn out my welcome here with numerous lame postings about problems. Those were all due to a single problem, become frustration, become hysteria. I'm in a rather desperate position, trying in vain to restore my computer to usefulness. Other subjects of threads were to get this different computer I'm now posting with up to speed, or else build yet another one out of old used parts, all exercises in futility.

Single problem: lost PCI dialup modem, but then found LPT 1 printer not connecting either, on computer in Signature line. I tried every way I can find to reinstall modem, no go, same with the printer. System Information still shows original modem installed, though it's long gone & uninstalled. Tried about 5 other modems, including new in box. The Sys Info also shows the latest modem installed.

During the course of events I discovered 126 pages/screens of 'Startup Programs' now listed, instead of the former 1-2 pages. These programs are listed as files, with 36 different types [file .endings]. In Startup Programs there are 2 copies of each file. These are not 'programs' but files, dll's, .exe, .cpl, .vbs and 32 other types of files. They are all listed as either 'NT Authority System Default, NT Authority System, or Default. There are 'program' names starting with every letter of the alphabet except Y. The majority are dll's. They sure don't look like 'Programs' to me!

From what little I know the computer says all systems are just fine.

Conflicts/Sharing shows:
CF7 -
PCI Bus & Direct Memory Access Controller

IRQ 10 -
Intel 82801AA SMBUS Controller & Intel 82801AA AC '97 Audio Controller

Memory Address OxA 0000-0x Bffff -
PCI Bus & Intel 82810E Graphics Controller.

I/O says all is 'OK', including Com1 & Com 2 & LPT 1. IRQ says all OK including Com 1 & Com 2. Memory - PCI bus shows 3 entires, all OK.

Com 2 shows the original Best Data Data Fax modem attached, and Com 4 shows the latest 56SPS modem attached. Ports shows Com 1 OK with IRQ 4, and Com 2 OK with IRQ 3.

Problem Devices says printer drivers aren't loaded but they should be.

I had Online Armor, Avast, Malwarebytes, Super-Antispyware installed & all scans show OK. Fairly safe internet search habits, as far as I know...

Some program installed sometime managed to shut off System Restore, when I don't know, but in the past. Dead in the water there. I used Registry Booster to restore the registry to several days before problem occurred, but that didn't help. I can't download anything to this computer and run through CD player on broken computer because no burner on this one that I know of - old Win 98SE machine, stripper with with no bells or whistles. I'm apparently too stupid to install the other's HDD into this one as a slave and fear messing up this one too! If I could that would sure help.

I either need to get that modem working, or else find out how to shove that HDD into this machine.

Thanks...

Edited by Spectacle, 18 September 2010 - 12:36 PM.

2000 Dell Optiplex GX-110, P3-847Mhz, 384 Mb SDRAM, Matsu 80GB HDD, XP-Pro SP3, Online Armor Pro 4.0.0.15, with Avast! Free, Super-Antispyware, Malwarebytes

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:54 PM

Posted 18 September 2010 - 01:43 PM

You may need to reboot in safe mode by pressing F8 after the post screen in order to remove the older pieces of hardware.

#3 Spectacle

Spectacle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 108 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2010 - 10:49 PM

Thank you, never thought of that!
2000 Dell Optiplex GX-110, P3-847Mhz, 384 Mb SDRAM, Matsu 80GB HDD, XP-Pro SP3, Online Armor Pro 4.0.0.15, with Avast! Free, Super-Antispyware, Malwarebytes

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,131 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:54 PM

Posted 19 September 2010 - 06:23 AM

Any onboard components...that you don't use...should be disabled in the BIOS...rather than trying to remove them via Device Manager.

Anywhere that you see duplication of devices in Device Manager...the best approach would probably be to delete all such...reboot and then reinstall same with correct drivers.

A link that may help, Remove Unused Drivers and Devices - http://www.windowsnetworking.com/kbase/Win...andDevices.html.

To check your Startup entries (or disable/remove such), I suggest using Autoruns. The Logon tab has the typical startup items, the other tabs reflect various categories of items which initiate at boot but which we normally do not treat as "startup" items.

AutoRuns for Windows - http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinte...s/bb963902.aspx

Louis

#5 petewills

petewills

• Members
  • 1,378 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:54 PM

Posted 19 September 2010 - 07:17 AM

Also, if not covered previously:

Startup Programs list in msinfo32: (which is presumably your 126 pages);

I clean this up from time to time with a script file (originally mentioned by joseibarra);

The script will make some registry changes, so if you choose to run it, backup your registry first.

http://windowsxp.mvps.org/msinfofix.htm

#6 Spectacle

Spectacle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 108 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2010 - 09:04 AM

WOW! LOTS to work with there, guys, THANKS!! Yes, Registry Backup, got it!

I had written a reply to Broni's post so I'll add it, with a potentially exciting footnote >

Safe Mode options are Safe Mode, Safe with Networking, Safe with Command Prompt, Enable Boot Logging, Enable VGA Mode, Last Known Good Configuration, Directory Services Restore, Debugging Mode etc. Four questions on that:

Some program or whatever set System Restore to 'Off', found after problems of course. If Last Known Good Configuration is standalone that would solve a lot of the problem; but if there's no configuration restoration files because S/R was shut off then I'm sunk there. Is 'Last Known Good Configuration' tied directly to 'System Restore'?

I'll first attempt to remove Best Data Fax modem that Sys Information shows installed. However I've tried in normal start mode and that modem doesn't show up anywhere besides System Information. So, not sure where/how to find & uninstall B/D Fax in Safe Mode?

Because Safe with Networking allows internet connection I wonder if that would be better or worse for uninstalling BD Fax?

Minor item: I need M/S Word, but none of the rest of Office, which is how it was configured before. If I can simply uninstall Office Suite, and Word stays on system, I'm good to go there. Is M/S Word part of M/S Office, or a standalone program in system?

Now the Footnote: I was looking for something else this morning and just maybe, serendipity kicked in...?

Found some CD's I had labeled 'Win XP-Pro OEM' [must be for the machine in question] plus one labeled > > > Dell Bios - Dell Diagnostic Utility - Dell Invidia drivers - Dell Manual - Dell Diagnostics - Dell User's Guide.

Hoping those files are actually on the CD's!!

Thanks very much, again!

#7 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:02:54 PM

Posted 19 September 2010 - 09:44 AM

When you reinstall Office, use CUSTOM setting.

Click on the drop down arrow next to what you DON'T want and choose not available or something similar.

After that, you will see a screen with the components, make sure everything but Word is unchecked.

Finish the install, you're good to go.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users