Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

All of a sudden, computer not reconizing my battery??

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 HeleneCarson

HeleneCarson

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:19 AM

Posted 18 September 2010 - 12:11 PM

A couple of weeks ago I was getting a message at startup saying that my computer was not reconizing my A/C adapter, and as a result my system may not work properly. In short, it was not charging my battery so I had to keep it plugged in all of the time. I had a split in my a/c adapter, under the plug in device that plugs into my laptop. It was getting bigger, so I thought maybe that was the problem...so I bought a new a/c adapter. I have a Dell Inspiron 1501 by the way. I did a little google searching and found out that this is common with the Dell computers..

Anyway, I get the new adapter, which by the way is not a Dell adapter. I plug it in, and it works beautifully..or appeared to anyway. It only charged my battery 58%...then all of a sudden it stopped charging my battery completely; the red light stays on constantly and blinks. Now when I start my computer I no longer get the message that it is not reconizing the a/c adapter...now it says it is not reconizing the battery. I have a Dell a/c adapter at work, and decided to bring it home to try to see if that would make a difference, because I did read that often Dell computers will not reconize an adapter that is not Dell...Did not make a difference.

So now, my problem is at startup I get this message saying that the computer is not reconizing my battery. I can still use the computer as long as I keep it plugged in all of the time, because my battery is not charging. Also, if you look at the battery on the bottom of my laptop there were little green lights (about 5 or 6 of them maybe) that would stay lit all of the time, even when the computer is powered down. It is not doing that now though...I didn't buy a new battery because I find it hard to believe that all of a sudden the battery decided to die, as soon as I get a new a/c adapter.

Does anyone have any suggestions before I go and buy a new battery? The Dell I have at work is a Dell Lattitude and I do not know if takes the same battery as my Inspiron. if it does, then I suppose I can test it to see if it is really a battery problem before I go and buy a new one.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users