Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Virtual Memory

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 penguin88

penguin88

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:33 AM

Posted 18 September 2010 - 11:14 AM

1. I have Windows XP Professional Version 5.1 and am low on virtual memory. I am also a 'technopeasant' so am concerned about screwing up my computer without knowing what I am doing. I see all sorts of Quick Fix sites out there but don't know which are safe to use. If someone has advice here I would appreciate it?

2. I also went into Microsoft Support and found a self fix option but when I get to the step where it says "change the Initial size value and the Maximum size value to a higher value" I haven't a clue as to how much I should change it by. The Initial and Maximum are currently set at 960 and 1920.

So I'm looking for advise on which fix I should use and what steps to take? Don't know what I'd do without this forum. Everyone is so helpful and I really appreciate it....!

Edited by penguin88, 18 September 2010 - 12:49 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,698 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:33 AM

Posted 18 September 2010 - 11:22 AM

How much RAM do you have?
How do you know, you're "low on virtual memory"?

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#3 penguin88

penguin88
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2010 - 12:08 PM

Apparently I have 1 GB of RAM and I consistantly get a message that says "Your system is low on virtual memory. To ensure that Windows runs properly, increase the size of your virtual memory paging file."

I assume this is the reason my computer has become extremely sluggish lately!

Edit:
Edited to remove unnecessary quote. ~ tg

#4 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,698 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2010 - 12:09 PM

Please, post some computer info:
- processor type, amount of RAM (hold Windows logo key, hit Pause/Break key)
- hard drive size/free space (open "My Computer", right click on hard drive letter, click "Properties")
- security programs in use (antivirus, firewall)

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#5 penguin88

penguin88
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2010 - 01:08 PM

Please, post some computer info:
- processor type, amount of RAM (hold Windows logo key, hit Pause/Break key)
Mobile Intel ® Pentium ®
4 - M CPU 2.20 GHz
2.19 GHz 1.00 GB of RAM

- hard drive size/free space (open "My Computer", right click on hard drive letter, click "Properties")
Size 74.5 GB Free 37.8 GB

- security programs in use (antivirus, firewall)
Norton Version 16.8.0.41

#6 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,698 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2010 - 01:23 PM

Are you doing anything in particular, when the error happens?

My Website

p4433470.gif

#7 penguin88

penguin88
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2010 - 02:35 PM

Can't say I was. The error has been croping up almost daily over the past couple of months and I've just been living with the inconvenience of a sluggish computer.

Edit:

#8 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,698 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2010 - 02:44 PM

With the information you have provided I believe you will need help from the malware removal team. I would like you to start a new thread and post a DDS log HERE and include a link to this thread. Please make sure that you read the information about getting started before you start your thread.

It would be helpful if you post a note here once you have completed the steps in the guide and have started your topic in malware removal. Good luck and be patient. Help is on the way!

My Website

p4433470.gif

#9 penguin88

penguin88
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2010 - 08:41 AM

Broni - before getting into this, I decided to go back to Microsoft Support and I discovered at the end of the various steps there was a box that directed Microsoft to initiate an automatic fix. To my surprise and delight, it worked and I now have a computer that operates at its original speed and efficiency.

I wish to thank you for the time you took to work with me on this. Very helpful and I'm sure I will return to this board for more assistance in the future!

Edit:

#10 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,698 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2010 - 10:34 AM

I'm glad to see good news :thumbsup:

My Website

p4433470.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users