Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Today no video, Minidump showed Banshee issue yesterday

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 mannshands

mannshands

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:20 PM

Posted 18 September 2010 - 11:03 AM

Hi,
my dependable old tower pc (dual boot xp/ubuntu)has no video output. Monitor tested ok.
History...a week ago I started getting freeze ups and black screen shutdowns, usually a few minutes after returning to the running pc after an extended period of inactivity. No blue screens. Even Ubuntu was performing poorly and i had my first linux crash! I did a full Housecall/MBAM/SAS/Combofix cleanup(just a few common trojans. I was suprised my SAS Pro real-time didn't catch those. After a full set of clean scans I took extra protection. Now I have SAS Pro, Spyware Blaster and Spybot. All scans clean. But still the black-outs.
So I installed all the stuff to do minidump analysis from MS yesterday. Ran a minidump from the last black-out, hitting the "-analyse" blue word in the analysis showed a Banshee driver multi thread issue. Sorry but I am new to minidump reading. Thats all I remember.
Today I had it up and running, streaming web radio while surfing, a normal load. It blacked out, and powered down, though the pc power light remained on. I rebooted. Now no display at all. The monitor flashes its own logo(not the pc mfg screen so no access to start options or bios or recovery mode) for a sec, then I get a no signal msg. Tried to get into safe mode without luck. The pc seems to fire up properly, no strange beeps. Pulled and cleaned RAM contacts, checked for loose connects, bad cables.
This is an early P4 tower, generic, with XP home SP3 full updated dual boot with Ubuntu, 1Gb RAM, 1.8Ghz, Seagate Barracuda ATA 40G HDD, Vid connect direct to mobo never worked, there is a seperate 2nd vid card with a sticker that says, AGP-3F10/16MB CH7A53-1 V1.0 10/10/98 6F00.
How do I figure out if it is a software or hardware problem if I have no display? Shouldnt the bios at least drive the monitor and allow access to the bios, regardless of windows or HDD probs? Would anything besides a bad vid card cause this? I understand that vid cards are voltage sensitive. Could an aging power supply have declining output, and I passed the minimum threshold for the vid card? I don't have a spare vid card or voltometer handy. I did research this pc, but all that mobo info, etc is in that pc. If I need to pull it apart again to figure out the mobo mfg let me know.
Thanks
mannshands

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:20 PM

Posted 18 September 2010 - 11:24 AM

Try different monitor, or this monitor with another working computer.

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#3 mannshands

mannshands
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2010 - 11:42 AM

"my dependable old tower pc (dual boot xp/ubuntu)has no video output. Monitor tested ok".

Monitor works on other pcs.

#4 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,707 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2010 - 12:02 PM

It may be your video card then. Maybe overheating, since your computer tends to shut down.
When was the last time, you cleaned inside the case?

Download, and install SpeedFan: http://www.almico.com/sfdownload.php
Post your computer temperatures:

Posted Image

Provide processor info (hold Windows logo key, and hit Pause/Break key to find out).

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#5 mannshands

mannshands
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2010 - 03:13 PM

Without a display I cannot do as you request. I tried booting a live Linux disc, it sounded like it spun-up, but no signal msg flashes again, then nothing. It is kept clean and cool. It survied a hot summer without probs. It is cooler here now and the problem developed within the last week.
THX

Edited by mannshands, 18 September 2010 - 03:15 PM.

#6 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,707 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2010 - 03:19 PM

When was the last time, you cleaned inside the case?

My Website

p4433470.gif

#7 mannshands

mannshands
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2010 - 03:31 PM

I fixed it I think. The socket on the monitor was loose. Soon as I tightened it up the old tower came to life. Strange I didn't see that when I connected it with another computer.
Cheers

#8 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,707 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2010 - 04:29 PM

Haha....nice job :thumbsup:

My Website

p4433470.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users