Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Losing Sound after bootup

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Just Trying My Best

Just Trying My Best

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:23 PM

Posted 18 September 2010 - 10:38 AM

My second computer seems to lose it's sound after bootup. You get the typical Window Startup sound through the speakers, and sometimes all of the normal Windows sounds, but I can't listen to music!
When I go into Control Panel Sounds, it shows No Audio Device, and I can't deliberately play the Windows Sounds!

Here are the specs on this PC:

CPU => P4 2.66MHz
MB => Asus P4S533MX
Memory =>2GB DDR
Grapics => ATI Radeon 9550
OS => WinXP Home
Network =>Bell Wireless DSL Modem
Anti-Virus and Firewall => Bell Modem

Any ideas?
Danno

PC--Lenovo ThinkCentre M52, Processor--Pentium 4 3.00GHz, Memory--512MB DDR-2, MB--IBM with Intel I945P/PL/G/GZ Chipset
Drive--WD800JD-08LSA0 Sata, Video--Intel 82945G OnBoard, Network--Bell Wireless DSL Modem/Router
OS--Windows XP Professional SP3, Browser--IE 8, Email--Outlook 2002 SP3, Anti-Virus--Bell Internet Secturity Service

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,804 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:23 AM

Posted 18 September 2010 - 11:25 AM

Have you looked in the device manager to see if there are any errors in the sound, video and game controllers?

That motherboard uses the integrated audio, when you expand the menu by clicking on the + you should see AC97 in that list. Double click on this and choose properties. Does it list this device as working properly?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 Just Trying My Best

Just Trying My Best
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2010 - 11:39 AM

Have you looked in the device manager to see if there are any errors in the sound, video and game controllers?

That motherboard uses the integrated audio, when you expand the menu by clicking on the + you should see AC97 in that list. Double click on this and choose properties. Does it list this device as working properly?

Hi dc3, Thanks for responding!

This problem started with the on-board AC97. After doing some troubleshooting, I disabled it in bios and installed the SB PCI 128 card, downloaded latest drivers from Sound Blaster web site and ran the install. This requires a reboot. So, after the reboot, I hear the standard Windows Startup tune play through the speakers and I still hear other standard Windows sounds such as Critical Stop, Default Beep, etc. But in Control Panel - Sounds, it shows No Audio Device and the dropdown list is empty.

Danno
Danno

PC--Lenovo ThinkCentre M52, Processor--Pentium 4 3.00GHz, Memory--512MB DDR-2, MB--IBM with Intel I945P/PL/G/GZ Chipset
Drive--WD800JD-08LSA0 Sata, Video--Intel 82945G OnBoard, Network--Bell Wireless DSL Modem/Router
OS--Windows XP Professional SP3, Browser--IE 8, Email--Outlook 2002 SP3, Anti-Virus--Bell Internet Secturity Service

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,804 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:23 AM

Posted 18 September 2010 - 12:06 PM

Let me see if I have this correctly. You went into the BIOS and disabled the onboard audio, and then installed a dedicated audio card and downloaded the drivers for it?

How did you disable it in the BIOS?

Have gone back to see if the onboard audio will still work? If you have the CD that came with the motherboard you should be able to reinstall the drivers for the onboard audio.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 Just Trying My Best

Just Trying My Best
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2010 - 12:33 PM

Let me see if I have this correctly. You went into the BIOS and disabled the onboard audio, and then installed a dedicated audio card and downloaded the drivers for it?

How did you disable it in the BIOS?

Have gone back to see if the onboard audio will still work? If you have the CD that came with the motherboard you should be able to reinstall the drivers for the onboard audio.

Hi dc3,

In the bios:
Advanced
PCI Configuration
Onboard PCI Devices Control
Onboard AC97 Audio Controller ==> Enabled or Disabled

I chose Disabled.

I have reloaded the drivers for this onboard audio, but to no avail. That is why I disabled it, and installed the dedicated Sound Blaster card that I had lying around in my box of spare PC parts.

Danno
Danno

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users