Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

After shut down, PC will not power on when USB HD's are plugged in

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 iplaymusic127

iplaymusic127

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:46 AM

Posted 18 September 2010 - 10:07 AM

Like the topic title says:

After I shut my computer down, and it is OFF, I can not turn it back ON when 2 specific external hard drives are plugged in via USB. They are just two old 250gb Western Digital's in two identical speed metal enclosures from geeks.com. Now when I unplug them, I can 95% percent of the time I hit the power button and the PC will fire right up. Sometimes though I need to unplug the PC's power cord and plug it back in to make it work.

Others have suggested changing the boot sequence and disabling USB booting and I did try them both and they did not work.
I tried to reiterate to them that I have no problem with BOOTING, I have a problem with POWERING.

I have 3 other external hard drives and they do not cause this problem. Just the 2 WD's.

Also, after I shut down, with the 2 Wd's still plugged in: 1. The PCs red power light is still ON. 2. My PC's temperature reader in my 5.25 Is still powered and lit up. 3. My DVD/Rom's lights are still on. 4. I have a laptop Fan plugged via USB into the computer that is cooling a DVR system of mine and that is still spinning. This will even occur if I unplug my computers power plug as well, just to ensure their is no power coming from the PC actually.

So the bottom line is these 2 hard drives are somehow powering my PC somehow when it is off, and will not let me power UP until I unplug them.

A minor inconvenience but it would still be nice to resolve the issue.

Here's some PC specs.

OS Version: Microsoft Windows XP Professional, Service Pack 2, 32 bit
Processor: AMD Athlon™ 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 6000+, x86 Family 15 Model 67 Stepping 3
Processor Count: 2
RAM: 3070 Mb
Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce 8400 GS , 512 Mb
Hard Drives: C: Total - 238464 MB, Free - 170726 MB;
Motherboard: BIOSTAR Group, N61PB-M2S, 1.0, OEM
Antivirus: COMODO Antivirus, Updated: Yes, On-Demand Scanner: Enabled

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:46 AM

Posted 18 September 2010 - 10:22 AM

Hello and Welcome to Bleepingcomputer.

This is not directly related to your USB hard drive situation at the moment.

But while looking at your specs you posted I noticed your Windows XP Pro is using SP2.

I am curious if there is a reason that you have not yet updated your operating system to SP3 for Windows XP Pro.

Bruce.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 18 September 2010 - 10:24 AM.

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#3 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:46 AM

Posted 18 September 2010 - 10:40 AM

I tried to reiterate to them that I have no problem with BOOTING, I have a problem with POWERING.

Whats the difference ,either way its not booting

the external harddrive have there own power source ,correct ,i assume its because of there age and technology,they are still supplying power via the usb port to your computer after you turn off the computer ,my opinion is your only fix is to turn off the hdd's and wait till you computer boots up before turning them back on ! ,[i once had similar problem ,with fan staying on . power was coming from a older usb powered hub ,chucked it out !!]

My answers are my opinion only,usually

#4 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:46 AM

Posted 18 September 2010 - 11:37 AM

Sort of a silly question, I know...... but hey, I have to satisfy my curiosity.

These two probmatic external WD drives you mentioned above, are they powered up by their own power source? (In other words do they have a power supply of their own, independent of the USB ports supply from the computer?)

Bruce.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 18 September 2010 - 11:37 AM.

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,236 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2010 - 11:40 AM

As stated...if the USB devices are in an ON state...while Windows is trying to boot...the fact that Windows detects the devices but can't identify them as bootable devices...has been known to interfere with the boot process.

Not all enclosures users purchase have an On/Off switch. Those that are continuously on...can cause boot problems.

If the system won't even power up...seems to me that your PSU would be a prime suspect.

Louis

#6 iplaymusic127

iplaymusic127
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2010 - 01:07 PM

To quickly reply to the multiple responses.

To Mrbruce.
1.I purchased my Xp 2 years ago through amazon for 120 bucks, and when I try to update it Microsoft says it needs to be validated, so I am assuming I got a super good looking "fake" XP with Box and real Looking Cd. Never really wanted to spend another 100 bucks to validate it.

2. Yes they have their own power source, but the problem occurs EVEN When they are powered Off, They do have on and off switches.

Caperjac
3.I guess you and I have a difference in opinion on what booting means. To me it means the machine powers on but won't boot to windows. Thats just how I have always thought of booting. My won't power on, but it will boot, when it is powered on, so it's just a matter of what words you want to use, no big deal.

Hamluis
4. As I said to Bruce, the Hd's are off when this occurs and they do have on/off swtiches.
I do have a new power supply, maybe I will put it in and try it out, but I haven't had any super big issues with the current one, so I guess I never bothered to try.

Ill try switching out the PSU later today and see if it changes anything.

Thanks for the replies everyone.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users