Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How do I MOVE a file?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:12:59 AM

Posted 18 September 2010 - 09:19 AM

I've had this awesome Windows 7 system for a week, and for the past week have been exploring the depths of 7. So far I've figured out a number of things on my own, mostly by trial and error.

However, one thing I cannot figure out. I need to move some files.

With XP, I could choose the file, and was given the option to move or copy. Obviously I would choose move, and the file would go where I wanted it to be.

I do not see any options for MOVE in Win7. The only choices I'm offered are CUT and COPY.

I choose Copy. I then have to go to My Documents, open up the folder where I want the file to be, then Paste.

Then back to the original location to delete the file I just copied.

OR I can choose CUT, paste into the new file, and the one in the original location is deleted.

I'm used to a couple of clicks to move. I didn't have to go back and forth to various folders in order to move a file.

So HOW (if it can be done) do I MOVE something?

I'm in the process of cleaning up My Documents. Some .txt files need to go to a folder I have for that. I have pics that need to go to My Pictures. And right now, I am highlighting all my .txt files, opening up Saved Text, pasting them in there, then have to copy or cut them to put them in sub-folders. Same thing with my pics. I'd like to use the move function to send them straight to the sub-folders.

Some of the pictures need to be moved to my daughter's My Pictures. So that means I have to do the copy or cut, go to My Computer/Users/Her account/Her pictures, then paste.

If someone will enlighten on how to move or tell me it cannot be done, I would appreciate it very much.

edit to add: problem resolved, see my post below.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 18 September 2010 - 09:49 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:59 PM

Posted 18 September 2010 - 09:27 AM

I think the function has been removed

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#3 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

• Topic Starter

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 18 September 2010 - 09:47 AM

SUCCESS!!!!! I finally found it. And I wasn't even looking for it.

It seems there is a MENU BAR, that consists of File, Edit, View, Tools, Help.

MOVE is listed under EDIT. Which I did NOT see because the menu bar was NOT showing.

Just a couple of minutes ago, I was randomly clicking on things-one of them was Organize. Under Organize, I noticed Layout, and within Layout was MENU BAR.

HMMM, I wonder what the MENU BAR is. So I clicked on it, and BINGO, something appeared which had File, Edit, etc.

When I clicked on EDIT, there it was-MOVE TO FOLDER.

I am now a happy camper because I have my beloved Move To command once again.

No Menu Bar

Posted Image

Where I found it

Posted Image

With Menu Bar

Posted Image

Edited by Queen-Evie, 18 September 2010 - 10:10 AM.

#4 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:59 AM

Posted 18 September 2010 - 01:09 PM

Ive always had 2 windows open and drag and dropped using the right mouse button it would present me with copy here or move here. Try it.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,254 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2010 - 07:40 PM

I think I've always just used cut-and-paste...I don't recall ever using a "move" option in any version of Windows :huh:.

Louis

#6 Platypus

Platypus

• 13,717 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:59 PM

Posted 18 September 2010 - 09:13 PM

I think I've always just used cut-and-paste

Me too! Just goes to show how habits get ingrained.

I'd never taken any notice of the Move To icon either - it's to the right of Folders on the standard Explorer toolbar.

Maybe so few people used it that they removed it in Win 7?

Edited by Platypus, 18 September 2010 - 09:13 PM.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#7 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

• Topic Starter

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2010 - 11:18 PM

It wasn't removed in Win7. Just hidden. I happened to find it.

We are creatures of habit, and my habit is to use the Move function. When I do it any other way, it feels odd and strange to me.

I am, however, kind of enjoying exploring the depths of Win7. I feel like I did when I got my first pc, with '98SE. I'd see something, think what is this, what does this do, and click on it to find out. Same thing when I moved up to XP. Now the learning curve has started again.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 18 September 2010 - 11:24 PM.

#8 Platypus

Platypus

• 13,717 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:59 PM

Posted 18 September 2010 - 11:58 PM

It wasn't removed in Win7. Just hidden.

Removed the taskbar icon is what I was meaning. The icon gives single click activation, as a menu option needs two.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#9 Layback Bear

Layback Bear

• Members
  • 1,880 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2010 - 06:51 AM

Glad you like Windows 7 Queen-Evie, the more you use it the more you will like it.
I do it by right click and hold and drag to the left where you want to put it in. On my system a little box shows up telling you what your over. Release the mouse and I'm done.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users