Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unable to delete recycled,recycler folder in Ext HDD

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 chongtham

chongtham

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:13 AM

Posted 18 September 2010 - 07:55 AM

I have an Ext HDD with 3 partitions H,J and K. H drive has a folder RECYCLER and J,K has a folder Recycled and all of them cannot be deleted.

I tried deleting them with the help of unlocker, unlocker says the object is deleted but the folder stills remain there.

I tried deleting them with Killbox but they cannot be deleted.

The content of the folder is not accessible but with unlocker it can be accessed and contains the files and folder attached in the screen shot.

After opening the recycler all other files can be deleted except the file INFO2, I am using Kaspersky internet security 11 and it cannot quarantine the file. While trying to delete the folder containing file INFO2 system volume information folder is created in the same drive and while trying to delete it a couple of files are recreated in the recycler folder.

Sometime a file tracking.log is created sometime change.log is created and they cannot be qurantined. It can be opened and the content is attached here.

All the three drives are not monitored by system restore of my pc. My system restore is disabled.

I ran Malware byte and all drives are clean. Full scan with KIS11 is also clean.

I ran Flash_Disinfector.exe and it creates on folder autorun.inf but the two annoying folders still sticks around.

I just want to do away with these annoying two folders, 1. Recycler 2. System volume information, in my Ext HDD, kick them out and say "RIP"!.

Screenshot 1. After deleting INFO2 file these files are recreated.
2. While trying to delete system volume information folder in H drive a message appears that says recycle bin is corrupted do you want to empty it? Yes and this files are seen in the recycle bin(automatically came out of nowhere)
3. Recreated files and folder in H after deletion.
4. Content of recycled folder in J drive.
5. Locked path as shown by unlocker.

Attached Files

Edited by hamluis, 18 September 2010 - 03:36 PM.
Merged threads ~ Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:43 PM

Posted 18 September 2010 - 09:19 AM

The folders named...are system folders.

As long as you have the drives attached to the system...and you are using the Recycle Bin setting for separate bins for each partition/drive...System Volume Information and Recycler folder should be present on any partition.

The Recycler folders can subsequently be deleted by changing the settings for the Recycle Bin to maintain one folder for all partitions and immediate deletion of files. My Recycle Bin settings call for such and I just deleted the Recycler folders on my partitions which are not the system partition.

The System Volume Information folder is related to System Restore, while the Recycler folder is self-explanatory. It will be present, regardless of whether the user employs System Restore (I do not) or not. It's there because it's a basic system folder and XP won't allow you to delete it.

See http://support.microsoft.com/kb/136517 for more info on Recycle Bin function.

Louis

#3 chongtham

chongtham
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:13 AM

Posted 18 September 2010 - 09:52 AM

Thanks hamluis,

I understand the situation. Looks like harmless files Thanks again.

I am letting the garbage stay in my drive.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:43 PM

Posted 18 September 2010 - 10:16 AM

Happy computing :thumbsup:.

Louis

#5 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:43 AM

Posted 18 September 2010 - 01:34 PM

They cannot be deleted they are system protected directories.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users