Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unable to open links in web pages due to "Error on page"

• Please log in to reply
63 replies to this topic

#1 bilkyb

bilkyb

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:50 AM

Posted 18 September 2010 - 06:19 AM

I am having problems on multiple web sites when I try to open a "link". When I place my mouse over the item it displays java script: MM_openBrWindow followed by the address. Once I click on the item I get a notification in the lower left of my screen that says Error on page that is next to a triangle symbol with an exclamation point in it. This is the information from the error details: Webpage error details

User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 8.0; Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; Trident/4.0; GTB6.5; SLCC2; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; .NET CLR 3.5.30729; .NET CLR 3.0.30729; Media Center PC 6.0; InfoPath.2; .NET CLR 1.1.4322; .NET4.0C; OfficeLiveConnector.1.5; OfficeLivePatch.1.3; Zune 4.0)
Timestamp: Sat, 18 Sep 2010 11:02:22 UTC

Line: 71
Char: 2
Code: 0
URI: http://www.johnwieseford.com/Templates/Javascript.js

I have checked the same websites on my laptop and I am able to access them. I am running Window 7 64 bit with IE8 in 32 bit. I have checked for malware, viruses, etc. with Malwarebytes, Spybot, and Avast.

I have also noticed that occasionally when I have more than one tab open in IE the area around the menu bars seems to go haywire for lack of a better term and IE has also locked up a few times in the last several days.

Please let me know what other information you need, if any, to assist with this problem. I

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,716 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:50 AM

Posted 18 September 2010 - 12:11 PM

Does it happen on ANY website?

Close IE.
Go Start>All Programs>Accessories>System Tools, and click on Internet Explorer (no add-ons). Same thing?

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#3 bilkyb

bilkyb
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2010 - 03:34 PM

Thanks for the reply. It happens on various websites and there is no difference when IE is used with no add-ons. It is definitely associated with java though. When I hold the mouse over the link and check the status bar on the bottom of the screen nothing will work that starts with java.

#4 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,716 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2010 - 04:30 PM

Update your Java version here: http://www.java.com/en/download/installed.jsp

Note 1: UNCHECK any pre-checked toolbar and/or software offered with the Java update. The pre-checked toolbars/software are not part of the Java update.

Note 2: The Java Quick Starter (JQS.exe) adds a service to improve the initial startup time of Java applets and applications. If you don't want to run another extra service, go to Start > Control Panel > Java > Advanced > Miscellaneous and uncheck the box for Java Quick Starter. Click OK and restart your computer.

Now, we need to remove old Java version and its remnants...

Download JavaRa to your desktop and unzip it to its own folder
  • Run JavaRa.exe (Vista users! Right click on JavaRa.exe, click Run As Administrator), pick the language of your choice and click Select. Then click Remove Older Versions.
  • Accept any prompts.

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#5 bilkyb

bilkyb
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2010 - 06:02 AM

Did everything you said and still no luck. Also noticed that when I clicked on the link in your post for JavaRa that another tab opened and said connecting but never got any further. I had to copy the link and open another tab myself, then paste the link in the address bar to get there.

#6 bilkyb

bilkyb
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2010 - 06:38 AM

Another Update: By chance I decided to try to run IE in 64 bit and the links work. I usually run 32 bit so that I can watch videos on youtube, etc. I tried to open various websites from my favorites including the others that recently gave me the problems. I wasn't able to open every website I tried but most worked and the links that failed yesterday and this morning worked. Sorry to keep adding issues or variables.

#7 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,716 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2010 - 10:25 AM

Did you actually updated your Java and removed old Javas by running JavaRa?

My Website

p4433470.gif

#8 bilkyb

bilkyb
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2010 - 06:30 AM

I tried to do the update and it said that the current version was installed. Then I downloaded the current version and installed it over the current install. When I ran the JavaRa it seemed to work but did not list any files that were removed in the log.

#9 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,716 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2010 - 10:11 AM

Close IE.
Go Start>All Programs>Accessories>System Tools, and click on Internet Explorer (no add-ons). Same thing?

My Website

p4433470.gif

#10 bilkyb

bilkyb
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2010 - 02:34 PM

No change when running IE with no add-ons.

#11 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,716 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2010 - 04:43 PM

Now, wait a second.
I just re-read your original post.
Are we talking here about problems with Firefox, or IE?

My Website

p4433470.gif

#12 bilkyb

bilkyb
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2010 - 02:21 PM

IE

#13 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,716 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2010 - 03:26 PM

Open command prompt and run following commands, pressing Enter after each one;

regsvr32 actxprxy.dll

regsvr32 shdocvw.dll

Restart computer.

My Website

p4433470.gif

#14 bilkyb

bilkyb
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2010 - 08:36 PM

Ran this regsvr32 actxprxy.dll and got the message that it loaded but failed and the failure code was 0x80070005

Ran this regsvr32 shdocvw.dll and got the message that it loaded but the entrypoint was not found

#15 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,716 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2010 - 08:49 PM

Go Start>Run ("Start Search" in Vista/7), type in:
sfc /scannow
Click OK (hold CTRL, and SHIFT, hit Enter in Vista/7).
Have Windows CD/DVD handy (with Vista/7, most likely, you won't need it).
If System File Checker (sfc) will find any errors, it may ask you for the CD/DVD (rarely in Vista/7 case).

My Website

p4433470.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users