Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help With Ram!

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 El_gOku

El_gOku

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:10 AM

Posted 11 November 2005 - 01:23 AM

Hello im new and i already need some help. I have just put together my first pc, the MB is Elitegroup 848P-A7, a 2.6 ghz pentium 4 processor, 512 ram, 200 gig hdd and 20 gig hdd with the operating system, windows xp home edition. Everyhting works fine, but the problem is: i bought a 512mb ram stick ddr 400 of ebay, i got it put it in and the pc works fine but i have realized that when i go to control pannel and then system it says i got 256 mb ram, so i talked to the guy tht sold me the ram and he says it is not compatible and to send it back and he will send me a newone. now if i cant just send it back because if i did i wouldnt be able to use my pc. i thought that if ram was not compatible with a motherboard then it would just not show up. this ram stick has chips in both sides so im thinking it is a 512 ram ddr400. has this happened to anyone before and if it has, does anyone have a solution. Also i have a friend that says that my motherborad might only support one sided ram. i've CHecked the manual and i dont say anything about thtat. any help plz.
Thanks for your time.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:10 PM

Posted 11 November 2005 - 05:15 AM

I'm not sure what the situation is with that Make of motherboard. Here's the info from their website:
ECS web site
MEMORY
2 x 184-pin DDR DIMM socket support up to 2 GB
Support DDR400/333/266 DDR SDRAM

So if your stick was a 512MB DDR400 it would be OK for your mobo. How good is the labelling on your RAM stick?
:thumbsup:

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#3 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:10 AM

Posted 11 November 2005 - 06:56 AM

If the seller is willing to make it good you should jump on it. You will only be out $5 for shipping. Sounds like he is being reasonable. IMHO
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#4 chiefmasterjedi

chiefmasterjedi

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:10 AM

Posted 12 November 2005 - 12:34 AM

If the seller is willing to make it good you should jump on it. You will only be out $5 for shipping. Sounds like he is being reasonable. IMHO

Yep, send it back............ the seller has sent you 256MB by mistake, there is no other reason why your MOBO would only show 256MB.
All 184pin Dimm ram will work in your MOBO, regardless of make/model and speed, if you buy ram that is too fast for your MOBO or CPU then it will only run as fast as either the MOBO or CPU can let it, the same will happen if you buy ram that it too slow.
Check the FSB (front side bus) speed of your CPU, should be either 533 or 800. For 533fsb you will need PC2700 and for 800fsb you will need PC3200 ram for optimal performance.

Edited by chiefmasterjedi, 12 November 2005 - 11:38 AM.

#5 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2005 - 01:54 AM

As for the ram chips being on both sides of the memory stick.......this is normal for ALL DDR DIMM ram. DIMM = dual inline memory module, dual being 2 rows, one on each side.

Er - just as a matter of interest I have in my hand a 256MB PC3200 Kingston "184-pin DIMM DDR Module" and it only has chips on one side.

(and "yes", to the purists I am grounding myself with the other hand and tybing thib wib my doze. :thumbsup: )

:flowers:

Edited by Rimmer, 12 November 2005 - 01:59 AM.

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#6 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:10 AM

Posted 12 November 2005 - 06:34 AM

I thought the dual in DIMM was because it had a 64-bit path to the processor, instead of 32-bit that SIMM has. :thumbsup:
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

#7 chiefmasterjedi

chiefmasterjedi

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:10 AM

Posted 12 November 2005 - 11:39 AM

I have edited my above post, as my information was wrong.............My bad.

#8 El_gOku

El_gOku
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:10 AM

Posted 13 November 2005 - 03:22 AM

thanks a lot guys, well im sure he sent me the wrong ram. but he says he will replace it but i have to pay for shiping and im not about to do tht when it was his mistake not mine. Plus the shiping would be like 20 bucks. i can buy a 256 for 20 bucks. what im gonna do for now is try to get him to pay for the shiping. what i am doing tho is im going to buy this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16820211141 thts all the money i got for the pc. oh in my mb manual it says it supports (FSB)of 800/533 mhz, it suports ddr 400/333/266 DIMM with 2 gb maximum memory zise(DDR-SDRAM). you guyshave been very helpful. Thanks a lot.Now one more question i got a case and well im trying to install the front pannel usb and most of it is installed already, but the power led tht comes from the front panel to the mb doesnt fit the maual of the mb so i havent pluged it, it doesnt really matter cause i can safely turn on and off my pc but i want everything working anyways. in the manual of the mb it says the power led should go in pins # 2 & 4, but that is the problem cause the cable tht comes from the front panel of the mb goes in pin 2 and skips #4 and goes to 6. tht thing has a gap i havent tryed to installed it tht way cause i dont wanna messed it up. should i try it? or is there any risk of something happening to it?this is the computer case i got http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16811156164
THANKS for your help again, everyone.

#9 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2005 - 04:02 AM

That all depends on what's on pin 4 and pin 6 on your mobo connector.
E.g. If pin 4 is GND and pin 6 is GND then no problem.

If it was me I would cut the connector in half with a sharp Stanley knife so you have 2 connectors of 1.5 holes each, then turn then through 90 degrees and you can fit them onto the 2 pins where they should go. The common coloured wire (usually white) is LED- or GND, the coloured wire is LED+.

hth :thumbsup:

#10 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2005 - 07:05 AM

thanks a lot guys, well im sure he sent me the wrong ram. but he says he will replace it but i have to pay for shiping and im not about to do tht when it was his mistake not mine. Plus the shiping would be like 20 bucks. i can buy a 256 for 20 bucks. what im gonna do for now is try to get him to pay for the shiping. what i am doing tho is im going to buy this

Why don't you ask him if you can include a return envelope Priorty Mail. That should only be $4.00-+. You can print it off the internet and affix it to an envelope yourself. That is how I ship. If you do it now your mail person will pick it up from your mail box.

#11 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2005 - 07:11 AM

Here is the power plug wiring diagram.

http://www.pcguide.com/ref/power/sup/partsMotherboard-c.html

#12 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2005 - 05:12 PM

That's a good reference page acklan but we're discussing the front panel connector or 'complex pin header' or whatever they call it.

#13 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2005 - 05:51 PM

:thumbsup: :flowers:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users